Catapult vertical displacement problem

In summary, the problem is asking to find the vertical displacement at t=0.38 seconds for a catapult that fires at an angle of 40.02 degrees with an initial velocity of 5.463 m/s. Using the formula y=(1/2)(-g)(t^2)+(voy)(t), where g=9.8 m/s^2 and voy=3.5133 m/s, the calculated vertical displacement is 0.62696 meters. However, there seems to be an error as this is not the correct answer. More information is needed to determine the correct solution.
ama

Homework Statement

A catapult fires at an angle of 40.02 and has an initial velocity of 5.463. Find the vertical displacement at t=.38 seconds.
I know the following from the problem and logic
vo=5.463
t=.3824
g=9.8
angle=40.02
I calcuated the following
voy=vosin40.02
voy=3.5133

Homework Equations

y=(1/2)(-(g))(t^2)+(voy)(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the value for voy is valid. I plugged them into this equation and got y=.62696 meters. But it isn't the right answer. What do I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We cannot help you unless you post the problem exactly as was given to you and include a detailed of what you did and what results you got.

Related to Catapult vertical displacement problem

1. What is a catapult vertical displacement problem?

A catapult vertical displacement problem refers to a physics problem that involves determining the height or vertical displacement of an object launched from a catapult. This problem can involve factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational force.

2. How do you calculate the vertical displacement of an object launched from a catapult?

The vertical displacement can be calculated using the formula: h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the vertical displacement, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

3. What factors affect the vertical displacement of an object launched from a catapult?

The vertical displacement is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational force. Other factors such as air resistance and the height of the catapult may also have an impact on the displacement.

4. Can a catapult launch an object to an infinite height?

No, a catapult can only launch an object to a certain maximum height. This is because the initial velocity and angle of launch determine the vertical displacement, and there is a limit to how high an object can be launched using these factors.

5. How can the vertical displacement problem of a catapult be applied in real life?

The vertical displacement problem of a catapult can be applied in various fields, such as engineering and sports. Engineers can use this problem to design and optimize the trajectory of a projectile launched from a catapult. In sports, understanding the vertical displacement can help athletes improve their performance in activities such as javelin throw and long jump.