Cassini confirms global ocean at Enceladus

In summary, NASA's press release reports that both measurements of the gravitational field and of the rotation rate of the surface agree on that the surface is not connected to the core, and that if the surface is not connected to the core, its libration is stronger and the observed magnitude is not compatible with a solid connection between ice and core. This corroborates upon previous evidence that the Moon probably has a liquid layer of its interior and almost certainly it's water. However, we can't investigate or make use of liquid water existing several kilometers beneath a solid ice surface, so while the discovery is interesting it's probably not of much consequence.
At least according to NASA's interpretation.

Both measurements of the gravitational field and of the rotation rate of the surface agree on that. If the surface is not connected to the core, its libration is stronger, and apparently the observed magnitude is not compatible with a solid connection between ice and core.

NASA press release

The research is presented in a paper published online this week in the journal Icarus.
I don't find it there yet, the press release doesn't give much detail.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This corroborates upon previous evidence that this Moon probably has a liquid layer of it's interior and almost certainly it's water.
I don't think this makes it potentially viable as a habitat though, either for indigenous life or for possible future human habitation.
We can't investigate or make use of liquid water existing several kilometers beneath a solid ice surface, so while the discovery is interesting it's probably not of much consequence.

mfb said:
At least according to NASA's interpretation.

Both measurements of the gravitational field and of the rotation rate of the surface agree on that. If the surface is not connected to the core, its libration is stronger, and apparently the observed magnitude is not compatible with a solid connection between ice and core.

NASA press release

I don't find it there yet, the press release doesn't give much detail.

Nice result! Here are names of a couple of co-authors:
Matthew S. Tiscareno, Peter C. Thomas
We can search for the paper on arXiv later.
I did not see it when I looked just now.

Earlier Emily Lakdawalla posted a graphic showing which bodies might have subsurface oceans.
I see she included Enceladus.
oceans.png

Source:
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2015/03121716-ganymede-ocean.html

She reports here on evidence that the jovian moon Ganymede has a subsurface ocean. Among the sources she cites is this NASA release:
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2015/09/full/

Last edited:
rootone said:
This corroborates upon previous evidence that this Moon probably has a liquid layer of it's interior and almost certainly it's water.
I don't think this makes it potentially viable as a habitat though, either for indigenous life or for possible future human habitation.
We can't investigate or make use of liquid water existing several kilometers beneath a solid ice surface, so while the discovery is interesting it's probably not of much consequence.
There are ideas of a lander that would melt itself through the ice to investigate the ocean below. That concept is the usual way drilling happens in Antarctica today, Lake Vostok has been reached that way for example.
Complete sterilization of the probe would be a serious issue. We certainly don't want to introduce life from Earth, especially if there happens to be life (which is more likely for the larger moons I think, but we don't know).

Related to Cassini confirms global ocean at Enceladus

What is the significance of Cassini confirming a global ocean at Enceladus?

The confirmation of a global ocean at Enceladus is significant because it suggests that the moon may have the necessary conditions to support life. This ocean is thought to be a salty liquid water ocean, which is one of the key ingredients for life as we know it.

How did Cassini confirm the presence of a global ocean at Enceladus?

Cassini used a variety of instruments, including the magnetometer, gravity measurements, and imaging techniques to study the moon's surface and interior. By analyzing the data collected, scientists were able to confirm the existence of a global ocean beneath the moon's icy surface.

What are the potential implications of a global ocean at Enceladus?

The presence of a global ocean at Enceladus opens up the possibility for the moon to harbor life. This discovery also raises questions about the potential habitability of other icy moons in our solar system and beyond. It also provides insight into the processes and dynamics of icy worlds.

Could there be life in Enceladus' global ocean?

While the presence of a global ocean at Enceladus is a promising sign, it does not necessarily guarantee the existence of life. Further exploration and study of the moon's ocean and its potential for supporting life will be needed to determine if there are any living organisms in this icy world.

What are the next steps in studying Enceladus' global ocean?

Scientists are planning future missions to Enceladus to gather more data and potentially even sample the moon's ocean. These missions will also focus on studying the ocean's composition and potential habitability in more detail. Additionally, further analysis of the data collected by Cassini will continue to deepen our understanding of this intriguing moon.