What Is Thermopaste & What Does It Do?

• Thread starter sheikhfahad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the use of thermopaste or thermal paste in an experiment to measure the temperature of a filament. One person is using a thermocouple and has been instructed by their teacher to use thermopaste on the bulb. The other person clarifies that thermal paste is commonly used between a processor chip and heatsink in a computer to improve heat transfer. They also mention that it would prevent heat from being lost to the environment. The second person asks about the difference between thermal paste and thermo paste, and if they have the same function as silicon greases.
sheikhfahad
i am doing an experiment to measure the temperature of the surface of the filament, i using thermocopule, my teacher told me to use thermopaste on bulb to measure the temperature. Can some 1 tell me what thermopaste is and what does thermopaste do.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
thermo or thermal paste?
I have heard of thermal paste - you put it between your processor chip and the heatsink in a computer in order to increase the efficiency of the heat transfer

thermal paste i guse

little me said:
thermo or thermal paste?
I have heard of thermal paste - you put it between your processor chip and the heatsink in a computer in order to increase the efficiency of the heat transfer

so if i put thermal paste on the surface it would make sure that the heat of the surface is not lost to the enviroment.

Also what is thermo paste?

one more question is thermal paste same as silicon greases, meaning do they have same function.

Last edited:

1. What is thermopaste?

Thermopaste, also known as thermal compound or thermal grease, is a type of material used to improve the thermal conductivity between two surfaces.

2. What does thermopaste do?

Thermopaste fills in the microscopic imperfections on the surfaces of electronic components, such as CPU and heatsinks, to create a smooth and efficient transfer of heat.

3. How does thermopaste work?

Thermopaste is made up of thermally conductive particles suspended in a silicone-based compound. When applied between two surfaces, it fills in the gaps and allows heat to transfer more easily, reducing the risk of overheating.

4. Why is thermopaste important?

Thermopaste is important because it helps to prevent damage to electronic components due to overheating. It also helps to improve the overall performance and longevity of these components.

5. How often should I replace thermopaste?

It is recommended to replace thermopaste every 1-2 years, as it can dry out and become less effective over time. However, if you notice your computer running hotter than usual, it may be a sign that the thermopaste needs to be replaced sooner.