Carter: Not mincing words about Bush

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Former US President Jimmy Carter, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, has been vocal in his criticism of the Bush administration's refusal to accept Hamas' 2006 election victory, which he believes is "criminal." Some have questioned his motives, whether it is to help pave the road to reconciliation in the Middle East, for political gain in the 2008 elections, or personal beliefs. However, others believe that Carter's actions are driven by his strong ethical values and genuine concern for injustice. This was evident in his book 'Palestine Peace Not Apartheid,' which took a year or two to research and write before its publication in November 2006.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...Carter, a Nobel Peace Prize winner who was addressing a human rights conference in Ireland, also said the Bush administration's refusal to accept Hamas' 2006 election victory was "criminal." [continued]
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/20/AR2007062000233.html

Carter has been slamming the Bush admin laterly and I have to wonder about his motives. Is this his way to help pave the road to reconcilation with nations in the ME, is this political with the 08 elections in mind, is this pragmatism, or is this personal?

I tend to think it's pragmatic and that for him the issue is personal [he was always highly focused on ME issues], but in spite of his well deserved good samaritan image, he is still a political animal.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Carter may still be a political animal, but he is first and foremost an ethical man who cares deeply about injustice. We may examine his motivations (and we should), but I do not believe that he is inclined to lie.

we had an honest man in the white house
and replaced him with a brain dead puppet/actor
who was controlled by his nasty wife

turbo-1 said:
Carter may still be a political animal, but he is first and foremost an ethical man who cares deeply about injustice. We may examine his motivations (and we should), but I do not believe that he is inclined to lie.
:smile: When did this happen?

Smurf said:
:smile: When did this happen?

So, do you have a point?

Ivan Seeking said:
So, do you have a point?
A frequent problem here, when hit-and-run posters fail to engage or to provide any food for thought.

Ivan Seeking said:
Carter has been slamming the Bush admin laterly and I have to wonder about his motives. Is this his way to help pave the road to reconcilation with nations in the ME, is this political with the 08 elections in mind, is this pragmatism, or is this personal?
I think that Carter is trying to come to terms with the differences in treatment of Israel and Palestine by the US administration(s).

If his consciousness is speaking, then to me he is a good person.

MeJennifer said:
I think that Carter is trying to come to terms with the differences in treatment of Israel and Palestine by the US administration(s).

If his consciousness is speaking, then to me he is a good person.

As opposed to those that speak while they're unconscious?

Or as opposed to those that let the voices buried deep in their subconscious come out to speak?

He, he, he.

NOt enoguh peanuts have been sold to the Palestinian terrorists as Carter would like have seen, and the Israelis prefer Persia Pistachios over Georgian peanuts.

Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/20/AR2007062000233.html

I tend to think it's pragmatic and that for him the issue is personal [he was always highly focused on ME issues], but in spite of his well deserved good samaritan image, he is still a political animal.
It began with the publication of his book 'Palestine Peace Not Apartheid' in Nov 2006 which presumably would have taken a year or two to research and write prior to publication so unless he was scheming well in advance it would seem he is speaking through personal conviction rather than political spin.

Related to Carter: Not mincing words about Bush

1. What did Jimmy Carter say about George W. Bush?

Former President Jimmy Carter criticized George W. Bush's foreign policy, stating that it was "the worst in history" and that Bush had made a "radical departure" from previous presidents.

2. Why did Jimmy Carter make these comments about George W. Bush?

Carter made these comments during a panel discussion at the Aspen Ideas Festival, where he expressed his concern about the Iraq War and the damage it had caused to the United States' reputation and relationships with other countries.

3. Did George W. Bush respond to Jimmy Carter's criticism?

Bush's spokesperson issued a statement saying that Carter's comments were "sad" and "mischaracterized" Bush's foreign policy, pointing to the United States' efforts in promoting freedom and democracy around the world.

4. What was the reaction to Jimmy Carter's comments about George W. Bush?

Carter's comments received mixed reactions, with some applauding his honesty and others criticizing him for speaking negatively about a fellow former president. Many political analysts and commentators also weighed in on the controversy.

5. Has Jimmy Carter ever spoken out against another president?

Yes, Carter has been vocal about his opinions on other presidents, including Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump. In his post-presidency, Carter has become known for his outspokenness and willingness to criticize current political leaders.