Car's weight shift with torque & angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between angular momentum and torque in determining which tires of a car will experience more downforce and carry more weight while the car is turning. The right-hand-rule is used to determine this, with the direction being determined by the product of angular momentum and torque. The conversation also touches on the difference between this question and a similar one on a physics forum, and the potential impact of having a stiffer suspension on the distribution of downforce on the tires.
DanielBailey
I am having trouble visualizing which two tires of a car will be pushed down based on the angular momentum and torque of that car. Let's say if its angular momentum is point OUT while its torque is pointing UP in relations to the picture below.

My guess is it's the two right wheels of the picture below.

What I think is the angular momentum wants to go where the torque is in other words "the torque is pushing the angular momentum" you can figure out which way the car is leaning more and figure out which tires of the car carries the most weight at that point in time.

Picture:
1653250683.png

Physics news on Phys.org
wrobel said:

I don't believe so, the link you sent me is even more confusing. For this lecture, all we did was used the right-hand-rule to figure this out, but I am not sure how to do that. I believe it was ANGULAR MOMENTUM x TORQUE gives you the direction of which the car is leaning more. Is that correct?

If the car is turning to the left, then the ground exerts a left centripetal force onto the tires, below the center of mass which generates an outwards torque on the car, causing the right side tires to experience more downforce than the left side tires. If the suspension in the roll direction is relatively stiffer at one end then the other, then the stiffer end right side tire will experience more downforce than the less stiffer end right side tire. The sum of the downforce on the right side tires isn't affected by the stiffer end effect, just the distribution of the downforce.

Related to Car's weight shift with torque & angular momentum

1. How does torque affect a car's weight shift?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to an object to cause it to rotate. In the case of a car, torque can cause the car to shift its weight to one side or the other, depending on the direction of the torque. This weight shift can affect the car's handling and stability.

2. Can the angular momentum of a car change while it is in motion?

Yes, the angular momentum of a car can change while it is in motion. This is because angular momentum is a product of an object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation. As a car accelerates or decelerates, its velocity changes, which in turn affects its angular momentum.

3. How does a car's weight distribution affect its angular momentum?

A car's weight distribution can greatly affect its angular momentum. If a car has more weight on one side, it will have a greater angular momentum in that direction. This can lead to issues with stability and handling, especially in high-speed turns.

4. Can a car's weight shift with torque cause it to lose control?

Yes, if a car experiences a sudden and drastic weight shift due to torque, it can potentially lose control. This is because the weight shift can affect the car's balance and stability, making it more difficult for the driver to maintain control.

5. How can engineers design cars to minimize the effects of weight shift with torque and angular momentum?

Engineers can design cars with a low center of gravity and a balanced weight distribution to minimize the effects of weight shift with torque and angular momentum. They can also use advanced suspension systems and aerodynamics to improve the car's handling and stability.