Car's vibration after being compressed, and released on springs

In summary, the car's vibration frequency can be calculated using the equation f= 1/2pi (sqrt(k/m)), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the car. To find k, we can use the formula k=F/x, where F is the weight of the car and x is the distance the car drops when seven people with an average mass of 83 kg sit in it. After solving for k, we can plug in the values for m and k to solve for the frequency f1. However, since the car's mass changes when the people get out, we can use the equation m1f1^2 = m2f2^2 to solve for the new frequency f2
rinarez7
1. When seven people whose average mass is 83 kg sit down in a car they find that the car drops down 0.87cm lower on its springs. Then they get out of the car and bounce it up and down. The acceleration of gravity os 9.8m/s^2.
What is the frequency of the car's vibration if its mass (empty) is 1100kg? Answer in units of Hz.

2. f= 1/2pi (sqrt k/m)

k=F/x= mg/x

m1f1^2 = m2f2^2

3. First I solved for k: k= mg/ x = 1183 kg (9.8) / .0087m= 1332574.713 N/m

Then I solved for f1= 1/2pi (sqrt k/m)= 1/2pi (sqrt (1332574.713/ 1183kg)= 5.34 Hz

Now, when I tried to use these numbers in m1f1^2= m2f2^2 and solve for f2
1183kg(5.34)^2 = 1100kg (f2)^2
f2= 5.539 Hz
But this is wrong. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

F=kx > G=kx > (83*7)g = k *.0087

f1= 1/2pi (sqrt k/m)= 1/2pi(sqrt(k/1100))

Thank you! I missed the 83 kg * 7 people.

Related to Car's vibration after being compressed, and released on springs

1. Why does a car vibrate after being compressed and released on springs?

When a car is compressed on its springs, the springs store potential energy. When the compression is released, this energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the car to vibrate as it moves up and down.

2. Is it normal for a car to vibrate after being compressed and released on springs?

Yes, it is normal for a car to vibrate after being compressed and released on springs. This is a result of the energy transfer between potential and kinetic energy in the springs.

3. Can the vibration from compressed and released springs cause damage to the car?

In most cases, the vibration from compressed and released springs will not cause damage to the car. However, if the vibration is excessive or continues for a prolonged period of time, it may lead to mechanical issues.

4. How can I reduce the vibration caused by compressed and released springs?

The best way to reduce the vibration is to ensure that the car's suspension system is in good condition. Regular maintenance and proper alignment can also help to minimize vibration.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the vibration from compressed and released springs?

In general, the vibration from compressed and released springs does not pose a safety concern. However, if the vibration is severe or affects the handling of the car, it is important to have it checked by a mechanic to ensure safe operation.