Need help on easy questions from phy 105

• Thread starter links0311
  • Start date
In summary, PHY 105 is an introductory physics course that covers basic concepts and principles in mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism. The topics covered in the course include kinematics, forces, energy, heat and temperature, electricity, and magnetism. To prepare for the class, it is important to review basic math skills and any prerequisite physics knowledge, and to read ahead and familiarize oneself with the upcoming topics. Some common challenges students may face in PHY 105 include understanding complex mathematical concepts, visualizing abstract physical phenomena, and managing time effectively. Help with easy questions can be sought from professors, teaching assistants, tutoring services, study groups, and online resources such as practice problems and instructional videos.
links0311
what is the equation for a period on a pendulum? and what is the answer to this:

Two waves of equal amplitude and wavelength of .8m travel in a string in opposite directions with speeds of 250 m/s. if the string is 2.0 meters long, how many segments of standing waves are set up in the string?

whats the answer and please give a short explanation.
I need an answer in the next 15 minutes, i need a miracle!

beau

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple Pendulum: [tex] T = 2 \pi \surd({l \over g}) [/tex]

Last edited:

Hi Beau,

I'm happy to help with your questions from PHY 105. The equation for the period of a pendulum is T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

As for the second question, we can use the formula v=fλ to find the frequency of the waves, where v is the speed, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. Since the waves are traveling in opposite directions, we can consider them as two separate waves with a combined wavelength of 1.6m.

Using the given values, we can solve for the frequency: 250 m/s = f * 1.6m, which gives us f = 156.25 Hz.

Now, to find the number of standing wave segments, we can use the formula n = L/λ, where n is the number of segments, L is the length of the string, and λ is the wavelength. Plugging in the values, we get n = 2.0m / 1.6m = 1.25 segments.

Since we can't have a fractional number of segments, we round down to 1 segment. This means that there is only one standing wave set up in the string.

I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment! Remember, miracles happen when we put in the effort and time to understand and solve problems. Best of luck!

1. What is PHY 105?

PHY 105 is an introductory physics course that covers basic concepts and principles in mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism.

2. What topics are typically covered in PHY 105?

The topics covered in PHY 105 vary depending on the specific curriculum of the course, but typically include kinematics, forces, energy, heat and temperature, electricity, and magnetism.

3. How can I prepare for my PHY 105 class?

To prepare for your PHY 105 class, it is important to review basic math skills, as well as any prerequisite physics knowledge. It may also be helpful to read ahead and familiarize yourself with the topics that will be covered in class.

4. What are some common challenges students face in PHY 105?

Some common challenges students face in PHY 105 include understanding and applying complex mathematical concepts, visualizing abstract physical phenomena, and managing time effectively to complete assignments and prepare for exams.

5. How can I get help with easy questions in PHY 105?

There are several resources available for help with easy questions in PHY 105. Your professor or teaching assistant may have office hours where you can ask questions, and there may also be tutoring services or study groups available. Additionally, online resources such as practice problems and instructional videos can be helpful for reviewing and clarifying concepts.