Carrier spacing related to period to go in phase

In summary, the frequency range is 100-100.25 MHz with 10 single frequencies equally spaced in this range. They are all different frequencies, spaced 25khz apart, and come in phase every 4x10^-5 seconds.
Natalie Johnson
Hi,

I start at 100 MHz have 10 carrier frequencies all starting in phase at t=0 and the carrier frequencies have 25 kHz spacing. So my frequency range is 100-100.25 MHz, with 10 single frequencies equally spaced in this range. They are therefore all different frequencies, spaced 25khz apart.

Ive found on a graphing tool that they come in phase every 4x10^-5 seconds. The equation Frequency = 1 / Time_period works for this... with frequency being the frequency of the carrier spacing. Even though they are all different frequencies with different time periods they are all in phase every 4x10^-5 seconds.

The time period between all carriers coming back in phase (after going out of phase at t=0 or at any time after they realign) is directly related to the spacing of the carrier frequencies using this equation. I am struggling to see how this is related but it works. Perhaps I am looking for an elegant explanation of this

Please can someone advise

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Work out ##\ \sin (2\pi f t) = \sin (2\pi (f+\Delta f) t) ## and ##\ \cos (2\pi f t) = \cos (2\pi (f+\Delta f) t) ## (for the derivative) and you see it.

BvU said:
Work out ##\ \sin (2\pi f t) = \sin (2\pi (f+\Delta f) t) ## and ##\ \cos (2\pi f t) = \cos (2\pi (f+\Delta f) t) ## (for the derivative) and you see it.
Hi,
Interesting but can you explain a bit more with what you mean

You know that ##\ \sin (x) = \sin (x+2\pi) \ ##, I hope ?

BvU said:
You know that ##\ \sin (x) = \sin (x+2\pi) \ ##, I hope ?

Hi,
Yes but I'm not sure what you are trying to show and how it relates

That you are back to the situation at ##\ t=0\ ## after a time span of ##\ 1/\Delta f\ ## which I consider an explanation as asked for

BvU said:
That you are back to the situation at ##\ t=0\ ## after a time span of ##\ 1/\Delta f\ ## which I consider an explanation as asked for

Hmm I already have this on my script and it's shows they are back in phase, but I was looking for a bit of an explanation of why a frequency of frequencies has this time period and the time period they all come back in phase is the same regardless of how many single frequencies you have .

I mean I can have 200 or 1000 frequencies all starting at time zero in phase, because the frequencies have the same spacing between them then they always come back in phase at a later time with time interval t= 1/spacing_frequency

Last edited:
What more can I say ? Do you understand it ?
Are you familiar with trigonometric functions for beats and sum/differences ?
Natalie Johnson said:
regardless of how many single frequencies
as long as they all have the same frequency difference (or multiples of that), things will repeat after ##\ 1/\Delta f\ ##...

Likes berkeman
I ran into this situation at a previous job. We had 10 transmitters spaced 600 kHz apart with all their frequencies derived from the same frequency reference. When all their phases aligned every 1/600kHz sec, all the transmit waveforms would be at max power (or min power) at the same time. This resulted in a 600 kHz modulation of the power supply which in turn caused a 600 kHz intermod spur around each carrier. If a carrier went off, there was still the intermod spur on that frequency from the adjacent channels.

Natalie Johnson said:
Ive found on a graphing tool that they come in phase every 4x10^-5 seconds.

Graphing is the best way to visualize it.

Or perhaps think of square waves as in digital logic with flip-flop frequency dividers. Every forty microseconds they align because of common term in the denominator. ...

Natalie Johnson said:
So my frequency range is 100-100.25 MHz, with 10 single frequencies equally spaced in this range. They are therefore all different frequencies, spaced 25khz apart.
Take out a common factor of 25k from all 10 channels and you get frequencies separated by exactly 1Hz. They will obviously all repeat in phase every 1 second = 1/ 1Hz. Put the factor of 25k back into get phase repetition of 40 μsec = 1/ 25kHz.

Related to Carrier spacing related to period to go in phase

1. What is carrier spacing related to period to go in phase?

Carrier spacing related to period to go in phase refers to the distance between two adjacent carrier signals in a communication system, and how this distance affects the synchronization or alignment of these signals in the same phase.

2. Why is carrier spacing important in communication systems?

Carrier spacing is important because it allows multiple signals to be transmitted and received simultaneously without interference. It also helps to maintain the integrity and quality of the transmitted signals by ensuring they are in phase with each other.

3. How does the period affect carrier spacing?

The period, or time interval, between two adjacent carrier signals directly affects the carrier spacing. The shorter the period, the smaller the carrier spacing and vice versa.

4. What happens if the carrier spacing is too small or too large?

If the carrier spacing is too small, there is a higher risk of interference between the signals, which can result in errors or data loss. On the other hand, if the carrier spacing is too large, it can lead to a decrease in bandwidth efficiency and potentially affect the overall performance of the communication system.

5. How is carrier spacing related to the modulation scheme used?

The modulation scheme used in a communication system can impact the required carrier spacing. For example, in frequency modulation (FM), the carrier spacing is determined by the bandwidth of the modulating signal. In amplitude modulation (AM), the carrier spacing is typically equal to the modulating frequency. Therefore, the type of modulation used can affect the carrier spacing requirements.