Carnot's cycle and a-like cycles

In summary, the gas in a piston compartment expands isothermally, but temperature doesn't change. The real processes occurring in engines have not much to do with the Carnot process or other idealized cycles.
Bassalisk
Hello,

Lately I encountered thermodynamics. And all that world is very new to me, gas expansion etc etc.

I recently learned about Carnot's cycle. IT has 2 isotherms and 2 adiabatic processes.

Now, I understand what those processes in separation mean. Adiabatic processes don't exchange heat with the outside. I can coupe with that concept. But when you put all that together and pistons and all that stuff i come to confusion.

When you heat a gas inside the piston compartment, it expands isothermally. Now I understand what it means, temperature doesn't change. But why? How do you achieve this with gases? How do you control that variable, and after you expand it to some level, why does gas adiabatically continues to expand?

Can you explain this nature of gasses in these engines?

Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
Bassalisk said:
Now, I understand what those processes in separation mean. Adiabatic processes don't exchange heat with the outside. I can coupe with that concept. But when you put all that together and pistons and all that stuff i come to confusion.

When you heat a gas inside the piston compartment, it expands isothermally. Now I understand what it means, temperature doesn't change. But why? How do you achieve this with gases? How do you control that variable, and after you expand it to some level, why does gas adiabatically continues to expand?

As you suspect, that variable cannot actually be controlled in reality, and the real processes occurring in engines have not much to do with the Carnot process or other idealized cycles. Go find a p/V diagram of a real combustion engine...

The cycles you learn are simplified abstractions. They are designed to be understandable and calculatable, and to graps the coarse idea behind the real processes. For example, if I remember correctly, the idea behind the adiabatic process was that the gas does not have enough time to equilibrate with the environment and thus no heat exchange occurs. Describing it in that way does not mean that really no heat is exchanged at all, it only means that other processes beside the heat exchange dominate the total behavior.

I think i got it. Thanks

Related to Carnot's cycle and a-like cycles

1. What is Carnot's cycle?

Carnot's cycle is a theoretical model proposed by French physicist Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot in 1824. It is a thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work in a heat engine.

2. What are the main components of Carnot's cycle?

Carnot's cycle consists of four processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression. These processes involve a working fluid, a heat source, a heat sink, and a piston.

3. How does Carnot's cycle differ from other cycles?

Carnot's cycle is different from other cycles because it is a reversible cycle, meaning that the system can return to its initial state without any net change in the environment. This makes it the most efficient cycle for converting heat into work.

4. What are some examples of Carnot-like cycles?

Some examples of Carnot-like cycles include the Otto cycle, Diesel cycle, Brayton cycle, and Rankine cycle. These cycles are similar to Carnot's cycle in that they involve the same four processes, but they may have different working fluids and specific conditions.

5. How is Carnot's cycle relevant in modern science?

Carnot's cycle is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is still used today to understand the efficiency of heat engines and other thermodynamic processes. It also serves as a basis for the development of more complex cycles and technologies, such as power plants and refrigeration systems.