Carnot Heat Engine, thermodynamics

In summary, a carnot engine with an efficiency of 59% performs 2.5x104 J of work in each cycle. To find the heat extracted from its heat source in each cycle, the equation 0.59 = W/Qh is used, resulting in Qh = 4.2x104 J. For the second part, the temperature of the heat source can be found by converting the room temperature of 20°C to 293.15 K and using the equation for efficiency (e = 1-Tc/Th). By plugging in the known values of Tc and efficiency, Th is solved for and found to be 335.59 K.
theown1
A carnot engine has an efficiency of 59% and performs 2.5x104 J of work in each cycle. a) how much heat does the engine extract from its heat source in each cycle?
b) suppose the engine exhausts heat at room temp (20oC) what is the temperature of the heat source?

I know that the efficiency of a heat engine is e=W/Qh or for a carnot engine e =1-Tc/Th

3. solution
I managed to find the solution for the first part which was 0.59=W/Th(W=2.5x104J)
and I just solved for Th which came out to be 4.2x104J

but I'm not sure how I go about solving for part b, I was thinking that since it said the engine exhausts heat at room temp, so does that mean that Th-Tc=20? or do I have to convert that temperature to internal energy and solve? I'm not sure I'm pretty confused on what it means, can anyone help

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what this means is Tc=20 C, efficiency stays the same what is the new Th. See if that works for you.

ya that worked, thanks!

theown1 said:
I managed to find the solution for the first part which was 0.59=W/Th(W=2.5x104J)
and I just solved for Th which came out to be 4.2x104J
Careful. I think you meant Qh not Th.

but I'm not sure how I go about solving for part b, I was thinking that since it said the engine exhausts heat at room temp, so does that mean that Th-Tc=20? or do I have to convert that temperature to internal energy and solve? I'm not sure I'm pretty confused on what it means, can anyone help
First convert temperatures to Kelvin. What is 20C in K?

Look at your equation for efficiency (as a function of Th and Tc). You have Tc (in Kelvin), and you have the efficiency so you can easily find Th.

AM

?I can provide a response to your question. First, let's understand the Carnot heat engine and thermodynamics. A Carnot heat engine is a theoretical engine that operates between two heat reservoirs at different temperatures and converts heat energy into work. The efficiency of a Carnot engine is given by the formula e = 1 - Tc/Th, where Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir and Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir.

Now, let's solve the given problem. We know that the efficiency of the engine is 59%, which means that 59% of the heat energy extracted from the hot reservoir is converted into work. Therefore, we can write the equation as 0.59 = W/Qh, where W is the work done and Qh is the heat extracted from the hot reservoir. We are also given that the engine performs 2.5x104 J of work in each cycle. Substituting these values in the equation, we get Qh = 4.2x104 J.

Now, for part b, we need to find the temperature of the hot reservoir. We are given that the engine exhausts heat at room temperature, which is 20°C or 293 K. We can use the equation e = 1 - Tc/Th to solve for Th. Substituting the known values, we get 0.59 = 1 - 293/Th. Solving for Th, we get Th = 488 K or 215°C.

In conclusion, the temperature of the hot reservoir for the given Carnot engine is 488 K or 215°C. I hope this helps to clarify your confusion.

Related to Carnot Heat Engine, thermodynamics

1. What is a Carnot Heat Engine?

A Carnot Heat Engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the principles of thermodynamics. It consists of a heat source, a working substance, and a heat sink. It follows a reversible cycle and is known for its maximum efficiency.

2. How does a Carnot Heat Engine work?

A Carnot Heat Engine works by absorbing heat from a high-temperature source, converting some of it into work, and then releasing the remaining heat into a low-temperature sink. This process follows a specific cycle known as the Carnot Cycle, which involves isothermal and adiabatic processes.

3. What is the efficiency of a Carnot Heat Engine?

The efficiency of a Carnot Heat Engine is given by the equation: Efficiency = (Thot - Tcold) / Thot, where Thot is the temperature of the heat source and Tcold is the temperature of the heat sink. The efficiency of a Carnot Heat Engine is always less than 1, and it is the maximum efficiency that can be achieved by any heat engine operating between two temperatures.

4. What is the significance of the Carnot Heat Engine?

The Carnot Heat Engine is significant because it represents the maximum efficiency that can be achieved by any heat engine. It provides a benchmark for evaluating the performance of real-life heat engines and helps in understanding the principles of thermodynamics.

5. Can a Carnot Heat Engine be built in reality?

No, a Carnot Heat Engine is a theoretical concept and cannot be built in reality. It is an idealized model that does not take into account any practical considerations such as friction, heat loss, and finite heat transfer rates. However, real-life heat engines can approach the efficiency of a Carnot Heat Engine by minimizing these practical limitations.