Career plans, better areas to be working in for spaceflight/aeronautics?

In summary, if you're interested in the spaceflight/aeronautics field, consider looking into technical rotational programs and applying for internships as early as possible. Grad school may also be a good option, and it's important to network and reach out to alumni for advice on potential job opportunities. Additionally, consider the possibility of starting in a different department or program within a company before moving into your desired area. Overall, it's important to stay proactive and constantly seek out new opportunities in this field.
ehilge
Hey all, so I'm a second year mechanical engineering undergrad and I've been starting to really look into what my career options are. I've always imagined myself working in the spaceflight/aeronautics industry and have made this somewhat of a goal of mine throughout university, however, I'm not necessarily bound and determined by it. Also, I'm certainly more interested in the research and design side of things as opposed to management if that changes anything. Anyway, because of my interests, I have always thought that I'd like to work for a government organization like NASA or one of the military branches, or a large company like Boeing or Lockheed Martin. But I am curious as to what the drawbacks are to working for organizations like these. Because of their large size, is it easy to get bogged down in paperwork and other menial tasks? I realize that I'll probably have to pay my dues, so to speak, before getting on something really interesting wherever I go, but with some organizations is it possible to just never get out of that stage? If so, or even if not, what are some other options I could be considering that still work in the spaceflight/aeronautics field, but maybe not with such a high profile organization? What are differences between the government jobs and the other large organizations? And where have you worked, what have you thought of it? Anything in particular I should look out for?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ehilge said:
Hey all, so I'm a second year mechanical engineering undergrad and I've been starting to really look into what my career options are. I've always imagined myself working in the spaceflight/aeronautics industry and have made this somewhat of a goal of mine throughout university, however, I'm not necessarily bound and determined by it. Also, I'm certainly more interested in the research and design side of things as opposed to management if that changes anything. Anyway, because of my interests, I have always thought that I'd like to work for a government organization like NASA or one of the military branches, or a large company like Boeing or Lockheed Martin. But I am curious as to what the drawbacks are to working for organizations like these. Because of their large size, is it easy to get bogged down in paperwork and other menial tasks? I realize that I'll probably have to pay my dues, so to speak, before getting on something really interesting wherever I go, but with some organizations is it possible to just never get out of that stage? If so, or even if not, what are some other options I could be considering that still work in the spaceflight/aeronautics field, but maybe not with such a high profile organization? What are differences between the government jobs and the other large organizations? And where have you worked, what have you thought of it? Anything in particular I should look out for?
Thanks!

Look for technical rotational programs. Most companies have them. See http://www.ge.com/careers/students/eedp/index.html for an example. Large companies also look for interns early. Apply to internships now for next year. Seriously. GE has an "Early Identification" program for getting interns as early as freshman year. We then hire 80% or more of our leadership program members from the intern pool, and we basically require internship experience for all new hires. Get to career services and put together a resume. Contact alumni at companies you'd like to work for after practicing your approach with career services.

You will probably also want to look at graduate school. I recommend applying to grad schools and jobs simultaneously. Definitely go for internships either way. Also, when you are eventually looking at actual jobs and not just internships, contact people at the company and see where they recommend you try to start. There may be some program you don't know about and recruiters often recruit for their own department and won't refer you anywhere. There is no reason you shouldn't be doing something that you find interesting at a larger company unless engineering itself just bores you.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can say that the spaceflight/aeronautics industry offers a variety of career options for individuals with a mechanical engineering background. It is great to hear that you have a clear goal in mind and are considering various options within the industry.

Working for government organizations like NASA or military branches can provide many benefits such as job security, access to cutting-edge technology and resources, and opportunities for research and development. However, as you mentioned, there may be some drawbacks such as bureaucratic processes and potentially slower decision-making. It is important to do your research and understand the culture and work environment of the specific organization you are interested in.

Large companies like Boeing or Lockheed Martin also offer exciting opportunities in the spaceflight/aeronautics field. These companies often have a faster-paced work environment and may offer more opportunities for hands-on design and development work. However, they may also have a more competitive work culture and a focus on meeting strict deadlines and budgets.

There are also smaller companies and startups in the spaceflight/aeronautics industry that may offer more flexibility and opportunities for creativity and innovation. These companies may have a smaller team and a more dynamic work environment, but may also have a higher risk of failure.

Ultimately, it is important to consider your personal interests and goals when deciding on a career path. It may be helpful to network with professionals in the industry and gain insights into their experiences and the work culture of different organizations. Additionally, internships or co-op opportunities can provide valuable hands-on experience and help you determine which type of organization may be the best fit for you.

In terms of differences between government jobs and other large organizations, it ultimately depends on the specific organization and the job role. Government jobs may involve more bureaucracy and strict regulations, while large companies may have a more fast-paced and competitive environment.

Personally, I have worked for a government research organization and a smaller startup in the spaceflight/aeronautics field. Both experiences have been valuable in different ways. My government job provided access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources, as well as opportunities for collaboration with other researchers. My experience at the startup allowed me to be involved in various aspects of the design and development process and gave me a sense of ownership over my work.

In conclusion, there are many options available within the spaceflight/aeronautics industry, and it is important to carefully consider your interests and goals when choosing a career path. Be open to exploring different opportunities and organizations to find the

Related to Career plans, better areas to be working in for spaceflight/aeronautics?

1. What are the most in-demand career paths in the field of spaceflight/aeronautics?

The most in-demand career paths in spaceflight/aeronautics include aerospace engineering, astronautics, flight operations, space medicine, and planetary science. These areas are all essential in the development and operation of spaceflight technology and missions.

2. What are the top skills and qualifications needed to succeed in a career in spaceflight/aeronautics?

Some essential skills and qualifications for a career in spaceflight/aeronautics include a strong background in math and science, critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and excellent communication and teamwork skills. A degree in a relevant field such as engineering, physics, or computer science is also beneficial.

3. Are there any specific geographic locations that offer better opportunities for careers in spaceflight/aeronautics?

Yes, certain geographic locations such as the United States, Russia, Europe, and China have established space agencies and aerospace companies that offer a wide range of career opportunities in spaceflight/aeronautics. However, with the increasing globalization of the industry, there are also opportunities available in other countries as well.

4. How can one advance their career in the field of spaceflight/aeronautics?

Advancement in a career in spaceflight/aeronautics typically involves gaining experience and expertise in a specific area, taking on leadership roles, and pursuing advanced education or training opportunities. Networking with other professionals in the industry and staying up-to-date with advancements and developments in the field can also help with career advancement.

5. What are the potential challenges and risks associated with a career in spaceflight/aeronautics?

Careers in spaceflight/aeronautics can be physically and mentally demanding, with long hours and high levels of stress. There are also inherent risks involved in working with advanced technology and conducting missions to space. Additionally, the field is highly competitive, and job opportunities may be limited at times.