Career in Mathematics / Physics.

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on career opportunities and job market for a degree in pure Physics/Maths, as their parents are concerned about job prospects. They state their interest in these subjects, but not in finance. Suggestions for external resources are also provided.
stickynote
Hi,
I'm currently in high school and I am contemplating careers, what I want to do after school etc. I find maths and physics very interesting, however my parents are concerned I won't be able to find a job if I do a degree in pure Physics/Maths. Hoping someone could comment on the career opportunities, job market for this path. Just thought I'd add, not very keen on finance.
Thanks in advance.
Yours
Stickynote.

Physics news on Phys.org
This has been discussed extensively on this forum. Copy and paste the following into Google's search bar:

site:www.physicsforums.com careers in math and physics -Archive

Best of luck to you! :smile:

Thank you. A plethora of helpful information. :)

As a scientist with a background in both mathematics and physics, I can assure you that pursuing a career in these fields can open up a wide range of opportunities for you. While it is true that some industries may heavily prioritize degrees in specific areas such as engineering or computer science, there is still a high demand for individuals with strong mathematical and analytical skills.

In terms of career options, you could consider roles in research and development, data analysis, engineering, and even teaching. Many companies in various industries, such as technology, healthcare, and energy, require individuals with a strong understanding of mathematics and physics to help solve complex problems and develop innovative solutions.

Additionally, there is a growing demand for individuals with a background in mathematics and physics in emerging fields such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data science. These industries are constantly evolving and offer exciting opportunities for individuals with a strong foundation in mathematics and physics.

Furthermore, pursuing a degree in mathematics or physics does not limit you to only those fields. Many employers value individuals with strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are developed through studying these subjects. This can open up opportunities in a variety of fields, including finance, consulting, and even entrepreneurship.

In summary, a degree in mathematics or physics can lead to a diverse range of career opportunities and is highly valued in many industries. I would encourage you to follow your interests and passions, and trust that your skills and knowledge in mathematics and physics will be highly sought after in the job market. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Related to Career in Mathematics / Physics.

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in Mathematics/Physics?

A degree in Mathematics/Physics can lead to a variety of career paths such as data analyst, statistician, actuary, engineer, research scientist, and more. These fields often require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, making them a good fit for those with a background in Mathematics/Physics.

2. What skills are necessary for a successful career in Mathematics/Physics?

In addition to a strong mathematical and scientific foundation, a successful career in Mathematics/Physics requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Communication and computer skills are also valuable in this field.

3. What education is required for a career in Mathematics/Physics?

Most careers in Mathematics/Physics require at least a bachelor's degree in the subject. However, some roles may require a master's or doctoral degree, especially for research positions. It is also important to continue learning and staying updated on advancements in the field.

4. What is the job outlook for careers in Mathematics/Physics?

The job outlook for careers in Mathematics/Physics is generally positive. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in mathematical science occupations is projected to grow 26% from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations.

5. What are some resources for finding job opportunities in Mathematics/Physics?

Some resources for finding job opportunities in Mathematics/Physics include job search websites such as Indeed and LinkedIn, professional organizations like the American Mathematical Society and the American Physical Society, and networking with professionals in the field.