Career Guidance - Alternative Energy?

In summary: University of Minnesota ranking: Best Colleges for Engineering Doctorate in Chemical">a good chemical engineering program.
Wetterlin
(Hope this is in the right place)
Hello, I have been debating this for awhile and am unsure really of what I should be doing.

I like chemistry, I like solving math problems. However I don't care for solving the area of a function revolved about an axis, not very interesting to me. So far the physics teacher I have taken for Physics 1&2 with calculus has been a joke and I didn't really do too much for his class.

I have an interest in alternative energy. For one I think it would be fascinating to generate power, and especially to advance the world into better ways of generating this power.

I am currently set to transfer to the University of Minnesota for electrical engineering (something I picked... fairly randomly, just had to pick something). I have read a fair amount of comments by engineers that being an engineer ultimately ends up in you being a paper pusher and managing others while they do manufacturing. Is this true? If that's the case I don't see why anybody would ever want to become an engineer, how boring!

I ultimately want (at this moment) to work on some type of alternative energy, vague I know but I really don't know much right now. I would like to request some help from anyone if they can offer me any advice of what they think I should do or how I go about doing it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you more or less want information on what particular careers do in the first place. I wouldn't say that engineers are basically stuck doing paperwork :P

I think something that might benefit you, would be to take a look at the Bureau of Labor Statistics website to better figure out what professions generally do, how their outlook is, the need for them, etc.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

Sure, introductory physics is fairly boring, but I think you have to look at it from another perspective. I think "Once I master this stuff, I can start learning more difficult/interesting things".

Last edited by a moderator:
I have actually taken a look at that site before. The thing is though I don't think there is really a specific field for energy though. What I am more curious to know is what general path people would recommend I take to keep the doors open for different forms of alternative energy.

I understand that's kind of a hard question as clearly nuclear energy is going to require different skills than say further developing wind farms. Maybe I could ask if anyone knows of any good places to read for more information on alternative energies?

Wetterlin said:
I have actually taken a look at that site before. The thing is though I don't think there is really a specific field for energy though. What I am more curious to know is what general path people would recommend I take to keep the doors open for different forms of alternative energy.

I understand that's kind of a hard question as clearly nuclear energy is going to require different skills than say further developing wind farms. Maybe I could ask if anyone knows of any good places to read for more information on alternative energies?

A lot of engineering fields feed into alternative energy. For nuclear power there are nuclear engineers. For wind power there are mechanical and electrical engineers. For biomass and other bio related energies there are chemical engineers.

Since you said you were interested in chemistry, I would recommend chemical engineering. I know Minnisota has http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate-chemical"

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, it's great to hear that you have an interest in alternative energy! I can tell you that there are plenty of exciting and innovative opportunities in this field. It's important to remember that engineering is a broad field and there are many different roles and specialties within it. While some engineers may find themselves in more administrative or managerial positions, there are also plenty of hands-on and research-based roles available. Additionally, alternative energy is a rapidly growing and evolving field, so there is plenty of room for innovation and discovery. I would encourage you to explore different areas within electrical engineering, such as renewable energy systems, power electronics, or energy storage, to see which areas interest you the most. You may also want to consider pursuing a graduate degree in a specific area of alternative energy to gain more specialized knowledge and skills. Networking with professionals in the field and participating in internships or research projects can also provide valuable experience and help you determine your career path. Ultimately, the most important thing is to pursue a career that aligns with your interests and passions, and I have no doubt that you will find a fulfilling and exciting path in alternative energy. Best of luck to you!

Related to Career Guidance - Alternative Energy?

1. What are some career options in the field of alternative energy?

There are many career options in alternative energy, including renewable energy technicians, solar panel installers, wind turbine technicians, energy consultants, and sustainable energy engineers.

2. What kind of education is needed for a career in alternative energy?

Most careers in alternative energy require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field such as engineering, environmental science, or sustainability. Some positions may also require additional certifications or specialized training.

3. What skills are important for a career in alternative energy?

Some important skills for a career in alternative energy include problem-solving, critical thinking, technical knowledge, and a strong understanding of environmental sustainability. Effective communication and teamwork skills are also valuable in this field.

4. What is the job outlook for careers in alternative energy?

The job outlook for careers in alternative energy is very positive. As the demand for renewable energy sources increases, so does the need for skilled workers in this field. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts faster-than-average job growth for many alternative energy careers in the coming years.

5. How can I gain experience in alternative energy?

There are several ways to gain experience in alternative energy, including internships, volunteer opportunities, and research projects. You can also take courses or attend workshops to learn more about specific areas of alternative energy. Networking with professionals in the field can also help you gain valuable experience and insights.