Career Choice: Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics?

In summary, Will is unsure about whether or not to pursue a PhD in physics or an engineering route. He is questioning his decision due to the fact that real science is different than what he is learning in high school. However, he is encouraged by the advice of others to explore and question everything before making a decision. He has a Ph.D. and is three times as old as the person writing this, so he may have more experience than the person writing this. He advises the reader to go to college and explore their interests before making a decision.
WLatourelle
I love astronomy, physics, and mathematics. For the past couple years I have been set on becoming an astrophysicist, but as of late I have been questioning the exact field of physics I would like to get into. I will preface by saying I have no prior physics classes under my belt, but understand basic principles and enjoy doing independent research on the subject. In high-school I did very well with chemistry but I want to study something a little more big picture. Science has always been intriguing to me and I would love to make a career out if it, but I am having a hard time deciding whether or not to shoot for my PhD, or aim my sights a little lower, and its also troubling to find the exact career to choose. A job that would interest me would be designing spacecraft s, but then that gets into more engineering. Another thing I would love to do is make ground breaking discoveries in creating worm holes that could one day possibly take the human race to explore Kepler-22b. Am I over-thinking things too much for someone that hasn't even started their first year of college? Or are these things that I need to worry about now?

Thank you,
Will

Edit: I see now I have this in the wrong place, sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should pursue what you love most and don't let anyting stand in your way. Personally I would pick worm holes, more exciting and a better way to travel. Do be careful in this forum though they don't like anyting "non-mainstream". Last I checked some of the greatest theories we know today were born from non-mainstream science.

Keep thinking and question everything.

There's no 'proper' or 'improper' career choice out there. Most people will have multiple options that will change with time and the trick is to figure out which option will make you happiest in the long term, given your specific conditions.

It's nice to have a goal in mind when you're staring out, but this is something that changes for most people as they progress through academia and enter into a career, so if you don't have something specific at this point, don't stress too much.

The first step consistent with what you've listed is to start out with some first year university courses in physics and mat. This will give you a better idea of what studying physics will be all about. These will generally be the same whether you ultimately decide to follow an engineering route or a physics route.

It sounds like astrophysics is for you. By combining physics, astronomy, and mathematics, one studies the universe as an astrophysicist. I am in high school as well, and i theorize that your career goal, advancement in the knowledge of wormholes, will be one of the prime focuses of our generation. I myself am considering becoming an astrophysicist because the universe as a whole interests me the most; the big picture. It sounds like your interests match up with that too, so my advice to you would be to consider a career in astrophysics.

Choppy said:
There's no 'proper' or 'improper' career choice out there. Most people will have multiple options that will change with time and the trick is to figure out which option will make you happiest in the long term, given your specific conditions.

I think it'll be healthier to be able to accept that, whatever option you figure will make you happy, CAN fall to pieces in the blink of an eye. Say, you would really enjoy running a cozy bookstore, but then Amazon came along. Or you really think you'll be happy being a banker, but happen to graduate in 2008.

Ironically, once I came to accept that, I felt safer to pursue what makes me happy.

WLatourelle said:
Am I over-thinking things too much for someone that hasn't even started their first year of college?

Yes you are. :-) :-) :-)

Go to college, and explore a little bit. See what you like. See what you don't like. Go out into the world, see what's there. See what isn't.

I have my Ph.D. I'm three times as old as you, and I still haven't quite figured out what my career plan is.

Or are these things that I need to worry about now?

As long as you do your homework and work on your math, you don't have to think too much about what happens next.

Trapp said:
It sounds like astrophysics is for you.

Not sure about that. One thing that you'll find out is that real science isn't the same as what you are seeing right now. Once you get into college, you'll be able to do some undergraduate research and figure out whether you like it once you find out what it's all about. Also there may be some summer science camps at a local university that will give you a taste of what things are like.

I am in high school as well, and i theorize that your career goal, advancement in the knowledge of wormholes, will be one of the prime focuses of our generation.

What do you do if tomorrow someone ends up proving that wormholes are impossible?

Anyway one reason that research camps are useful is that you get exposed to the "grunt work" of research. Once you figure out that 95% of theory involves staring at rows of numbers trying to figure out why your equations just don't work, you can find it more interesting or less interesting.

What happens to most people is that somewhere along the way, they find out "hey, this wormhole stuff isn't working out, but interstellar dust is kind of cool, and I need to write my dissertation on something."

I myself am considering becoming an astrophysicist because the universe as a whole interests me the most; the big picture.

And at some point, you'll figure out that you'll never understand the big picture, and you'll be desperately finding something you can understand. But that's cool.

It sounds like your interests match up with that too, so my advice to you would be to consider a career in astrophysics.

One other piece of advice. Don't think of astrophysics as a career. It isn't. Most likely, you'll spend ten years of your life studying it, then you'll find out that you have to find something else to do to pay the bills.

One way of thinking about it is that you are reading books right now about mountain climbing, but there is a big difference between seeing someone climb mountains and doing it yourself.

Related to Career Choice: Astronomy, Physics, Mathematics?

1. What career opportunities are available in the fields of astronomy, physics, and mathematics?

There are a variety of career opportunities available in these fields, including research positions in universities and government agencies, teaching positions in schools and universities, and positions in industries such as aerospace, engineering, and finance. Other options include working for observatories, planetariums, and science museums.

2. What skills are important for a career in astronomy, physics, or mathematics?

Some important skills for these fields include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, advanced mathematical abilities, critical thinking and reasoning skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Strong communication and computer skills are also beneficial.

3. What level of education is required for a career in astronomy, physics, or mathematics?

Most careers in these fields require at least a bachelor's degree in astronomy, physics, mathematics, or a related field. However, many research and advanced positions may require a master's or doctoral degree. It is important to research the specific requirements for the career you are interested in pursuing.

4. What is the job outlook for careers in astronomy, physics, and mathematics?

The job outlook for these fields varies depending on the specific career and industry. Overall, the demand for professionals in these fields is expected to grow in the coming years, with advancements in technology and research driving the need for qualified individuals.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering a career in astronomy, physics, or mathematics?

My advice would be to gain a solid foundation in math and science during your education, pursue internships or research opportunities to gain hands-on experience, and network with professionals in the field. It is also important to stay curious, continue learning, and be open to new opportunities and career paths within these fields.