Career Change - Engg to Physics in India

In summary, the individual has a BE in Computer Science and an MBA from a good institute in India. They have been working for the past year but have realized their passion for Physics and want to pursue a Ph.D. in the field in an American university. They are looking for other universities in India that offer admission based on an entrance exam and where their BE degree would qualify them for the course. They also inquire about American universities that accept admission based on the GRE general and Physics subject test. The conversation also suggests looking into IISc and BARC for admission eligibility. To confirm, the individual is advised to contact the IIT office directly.
collectedsoul
Hi everyone,

I'm a strange case...I've done my graduation in B.E. (Comp Sc) with 59.9% aggregate marks and then an MBA from a good institute in India. I've been working for the past year but I've realized that I want to do a Ph.D. in Physics and ultimately do research in Physics in an American university. I've done a bit of searching and found that the MSc course in IIT requires 2 years of Physics which I didn't do in my Engg... So, are there any other good universities in India where I can get admission based on an entrance exam and where my B.E. degree will qualify me for the course? OR, is there an American university where I can do an MS in Physics with admission based on the GRE general and Physics subject test?

Physics news on Phys.org
collectedsoul said:
Hi everyone,

I'm a strange case...I've done my graduation in B.E. (Comp Sc) with 59.9% aggregate marks and then an MBA from a good institute in India. I've been working for the past year but I've realized that I want to do a Ph.D. in Physics and ultimately do research in Physics in an American university. I've done a bit of searching and found that the MSc course in IIT requires 2 years of Physics which I didn't do in my Engg... So, are there any other good universities in India where I can get admission based on an entrance exam and where my B.E. degree will qualify me for the course? OR, is there an American university where I can do an MS in Physics with admission based on the GRE general and Physics subject test?

Have you looked at IISc or BARC? But let me say well done man, go for it. Seek the happiness.

If you have done BE, you are eligible for the entrance for M.Sc from IIT.

x3qt0r said:
If you have done BE, you are eligible for the entrance for M.Sc from IIT.

Can you tell me how you can be sure? Because I checked the JAM website and it says for an MSc in Physics I need to have 4 semesters of Physics - and I only had 2 in Engg. Do you know anyone who's been accepted in the MSc Physics program with a BE degree?

Best way to confirm is by calling the IIT office itself.

Related to Career Change - Engg to Physics in India

1. How difficult is it to change careers from engineering to physics in India?

It can be challenging to make a career change from engineering to physics in India, as it may require additional education and training. However, with determination and hard work, it is possible to successfully transition into a career in physics.

2. What education and qualifications are required for a career change from engineering to physics in India?

Typically, a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is required for a career in physics. If you have an engineering degree, you may need to take additional courses or pursue a master's degree in physics to gain the necessary knowledge and skills.

3. Are there job opportunities for physicists in India?

Yes, there are job opportunities for physicists in various industries in India, such as research and development, government agencies, and educational institutions. However, the job market may vary depending on the specific field of physics you choose to pursue.

4. How can I prepare for a career change from engineering to physics in India?

To prepare for a career change to physics in India, you can start by researching the different fields of physics and their job prospects. You may also consider taking additional courses or pursuing a degree in physics to gain the necessary knowledge and skills. Networking with professionals in the field and gaining hands-on experience through internships can also be beneficial.

5. What are the potential challenges of changing careers from engineering to physics in India?

Some potential challenges of changing careers from engineering to physics in India may include a steep learning curve, as well as potential competition for jobs. It may also require additional time and financial investment to gain the necessary qualifications and experience in the field of physics. Additionally, you may need to adapt to a new work culture and environment.