Career Advice for ME Major Seeking Direction

In summary, the individual asking for career advice is currently a junior in college working in a co-op rotation for a power company. They enjoy their work and plan on taking nuclear engineering classes, but are concerned about not getting to experience the design side of engineering. They are also worried about design jobs being outsourced and not having enough time to try different industries. The advice given includes considering if they are happy with their current path and possibly looking for internships in design firms, as well as considering the job outlook for both fields and seeking feedback from professionals in those industries. It is also suggested that nuclear engineering may be a good option for the future.
JSBeckton
Career advice desperately needed

I am a currently a junior in college working in a co-op rotation for a major power company. I work in predictive maintenance doing a lot of infrared scans, vibration testing, motor circuit tests, trend building and evaluation, fan and pump balancing, etc…

I enjoy what I do and its pretty safe to say that we won’t end up outsourcing our power, and the industry will continue to grow as more and more power is needed. I am a ME major and plan on taking a good core of Nuclear engineering classes incase there is ever a strong push (that bears fruit) towards nuclear power.

I started to get into engineering because I loved math, physics, mechanics and CAD. I guess I feel that I am started out on a path that will take me into the manufacturing industry and I will never get to experience the design side that I think would be really fun. Is it a curse of such a broad major that you cannot get to try everything because you will never really be proficient an anything?

It seems that the design jobs are the ones that are being outsourced, and my maintaince co-op will leave me with no design experience so I imaging that I should just continue, I am already 27 (will be 29 when I graduate) so I don’t think that I have a lot of time to try every industry to see what I like best.

I know that everyone always says “do what you like the most and don’t let anything stop you”, but if that were feasible we’d all be eating cheesy puffs and drinking beer all day, we would never have made it to the moon.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In my oppinion it depends, are you really happy with where your life is going? do you really care about your carreer, or do you want to make money to have fun and live life? do you need money right now?

if your happy where your life is going and where you think you'll end up, then go with it. If you don't like the idea of endlessly testing components than go and find internships at design firms and such.

As long as your young and don't have any major responsibilities (like family or a wife) than you should be going out and looking for something that just hits you right and you could see doing for the rest of your life.

I would venture to guess that nuclear is going to come back in a big way 5-10 years from now, and they're going to need designers and the like, so if you want to do something with nuclear I would highly recommend it.

I guess I would like to know the job outlook for both fields and maybe some feedback from people that work in those industries.

Related to Career Advice for ME Major Seeking Direction

What are the job prospects for ME majors?

ME majors have a wide range of career options, including roles in engineering, manufacturing, research and development, and project management. With a growing demand for engineers in various industries, ME majors have excellent job prospects and can expect to earn a competitive salary.

How can I determine my career interests and goals as an ME major?

One way to determine your career interests and goals is to explore internships and co-op opportunities in different industries. This will give you hands-on experience and help you identify your strengths and preferences. Additionally, networking with professionals in the field and attending career fairs can provide valuable insights and help you make informed decisions.

What are some important skills for ME majors to have in their careers?

ME majors should have a strong foundation in math, science, and technical skills. They should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. Additionally, being able to work in a team and adapt to new technologies are important skills for ME majors to have in their careers.

Should I pursue a graduate degree as an ME major?

Pursuing a graduate degree can be beneficial for ME majors, as it can open up more career opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries. However, it is not necessary for all positions in the field. It is important to research the specific job market and your career goals to determine if a graduate degree is the right path for you.

What steps can I take to stand out as an ME major in the job market?

One way to stand out as an ME major in the job market is to gain practical experience through internships, co-ops, or research projects. Additionally, acquiring specialized skills and certifications, such as CAD or Six Sigma, can make you a more competitive candidate. Networking, building a strong resume and cover letter, and showcasing your projects and accomplishments can also help you stand out to potential employers.