Cardinality of set of real periodic functions

In summary, the cardinality of a set A of real periodic functions is equal to the cardinality of the set of all functions from the real numbers to itself, which is known as the continuum, represented by c. This can be proven by constructing a bijection between A and the set of all periodic functions with a smallest positive period, which has a cardinality of c^c.
TTob
what is the cardinality of a set A of real periodic functions ?
f(x)=x is periodic so R is subset of A but not equal because sin(x) is in A but not in R. hence aleph_1<|A|.

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x)=x is periodic so R is subset of A but not equal because sin(x) is in A but not in R. hence aleph_1<|A|.

What?

f(x) = x isn't periodic. And even if it was, that would only tell you A has cardinality at least 1. sin(x) is in A but not R... is R supposed to be the real numbers? How can a function be a number? Also, just because you add a single element to a set doesn't mean the cardinality changes either way

First, note: [tex]\lvert \mathbb{R} \rvert = 2^{\aleph_0}[/tex], and the statement that [tex]\lvert \mathbb{R} \rvert = \aleph_1[/tex] is the continuum hypothesis holds (which cannot be proven or disproven in ZFC).

I shall denote [tex]c = 2^{\aleph_0} = \lvert \mathbb{R} \rvert[/tex]. Let C be the set of constant functions from [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], and let P be the set of nonconstant periodic functions from [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]; then [tex]A = C \cup P[/tex] is a union of disjoint sets. Clearly [tex]\lvert C \rvert = c[/tex].

Let [tex]P' = \{(p, f') \mid p \in \mathbb{R}^+, f' \colon [0, p) \to \mathbb{R} \}[/tex]; I construct a function [tex]g \colon P \to P'[/tex] by assigning to each periodic function [tex]f \in P[/tex] the pair [tex](p, f')[/tex], where p is the period of f, and f' is the restriction of f to [0, p). It is a bijection; you should check this. Now since [tex]\lvert [0, p) \rvert = \lvert \mathbb{R} \rvert[/tex] for any positive p, [tex]\lvert P \rvert = \lvert P' \rvert = \lvert \mathbb{R}^+ \times \mathbb{R}^{\mathbb{R}} \rvert = c \cdot c^c = c^c (= 2^{\aleph_0 \cdot c} = 2^c = 2^{2^{\aleph_0}})[/tex]. Thus [tex]\lvert A \rvert = \lvert C \rvert + \lvert P \rvert = c^c = \lvert \mathbb{R}^{\mathbb{R}} \rvert[/tex], the cardinality of the set of all functions from [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex].

I pick f to be the indicator function over the rationals (which is periodic). What is p?

Office_Shredder said:
I pick f to be the indicator function over the rationals (which is periodic). What is p?

Well, that's a pretty embarrassing mistake.

Well, let's fix that up. I let P instead be the set of periodic functions with a smallest positive period; then [tex]\lvert P \rvert = c^c[/tex] (I think; see below). Then [tex]c^c = \lvert P \rvert \le \lvert A \rvert \le c^c[/tex], so [tex]\lvert A \rvert = c^c[/tex].

Another embarrassing mistake I made: g isn't really a surjection. I don't know exactly how to handle that, then, but I'm still sure that [tex]\lvert P \rvert = c^c[/tex].

I remember how to do this. Given A a subset of R... we can map [0,1) onto R, so we can map [0,1) onto A, say by a function f. Then extend f to a function F by F(x) = f([x]) where [x] is the rational part of x. F is periodic and has as its range A. Hence for each subset of R, we have a distinct periodic function, and then just use the fact that the set of periodic functions is a subset of the set of all functions R->R and the cardinality of the latter is cc

Your idea is a lot simpler; thanks. This is what I thought of when I read your post:

The mapping from [tex]\mathbb{R}^{[0, 1)}[/tex] to the set [tex]A \subseteq \mathbb{R}^\mathbb{R}[/tex] of periodic functions by periodic extension (as you describe explicitly) is an injection, so [tex]c^c = \lvert \mathbb{R}^{[0, 1)} \rvert \le \lvert A \rvert \le \lvert \mathbb{R}^\mathbb{R} \rvert = c^c[/tex], so [tex]\lvert A \rvert = c^c[/tex].

Related to Cardinality of set of real periodic functions

1. What is the cardinality of the set of real periodic functions?

The cardinality of the set of real periodic functions is equal to the cardinality of the set of real numbers, which is known as the cardinality of the continuum and denoted by c. This means that there are infinitely many real periodic functions.

2. What does it mean for a function to be periodic?

A periodic function is one that repeats its values at regular intervals. This means that for every value of the independent variable, the function will produce the same value after a certain interval. In other words, the function has a repeating pattern or cycle.

3. Can a function be both periodic and continuous?

Yes, a function can be both periodic and continuous. A periodic function can be continuous if it has no abrupt changes or discontinuities in its repeated pattern. An example of a continuous periodic function is the sine function.

4. Is the cardinality of the set of real periodic functions the same as the cardinality of the set of real numbers?

Yes, the cardinality of the set of real periodic functions is the same as the cardinality of the set of real numbers, which is known as the cardinality of the continuum. This is because every real number can be mapped to a corresponding periodic function and vice versa.

5. Are all periodic functions considered to be real?

No, periodic functions can also be complex. A complex periodic function has values that are complex numbers, which have a real and imaginary part. However, the cardinality of the set of complex periodic functions is also equal to the cardinality of the set of real numbers.