Cardboard boomerang experiments and calculations

In summary, the conversation is about a student needing to come up with an experiment using cardboard boomerangs for an AP Physics class. They discuss the need to find the velocity and angular momentum of the boomerangs and how to prove their calculations are correct. The student mentions watching a video about boomerangs and wanting to know possible calculations they can make with their level of physics understanding. They also mention needing to generate lift with the cardboard and discuss potential lift calculations. The conversation ends with the student thanking the other person for their help and stating they will look into the suggested resources for more information.
jjellybean320
I have to come up with an experiment using cardboard boomerangs that the rest of the class will do. The class then has to make calculations and test out the boomerangs to see if their calculations were correct.

However, i don't know what kind of experiment I can have the class do with cardboard boomerangs. How could i find the velocity or the angular momentum? and How could i prove that my calculations are right?

Please help. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jjellybean320 said:
I have to come up with an experiment using cardboard boomerangs that the rest of the class will do. The class then has to make calculations and test out the boomerangs to see if their calculations were correct.

However, i don't know what kind of experiment I can have the class do with cardboard boomerangs. How could i find the velocity or the angular momentum? and How could i prove that my calculations are right?

Please help. thank you.

Welcome to the PF.

What research have you done so far on how boomerangs work? Can a flat boomerang work, or does it need to be a shape other than flat?

EDIT -- I don't mean the shape in the U-shape direction, I mean the contour of the material...

yes a flat boomerang will work because i am using very light cardboard, and the boomerang will be very small. I have tried to find the radius of path but i need to know the lift coefficient of my boomerang. I don't know how I would find that out. So I thought about simply trying to find the velocity, but I don't know how I would go about doing that.

jjellybean320 said:
yes a flat boomerang will work because i am using very light cardboard, and the boomerang will be very small. I have tried to find the radius of path but i need to know the lift coefficient of my boomerang. I don't know how I would find that out. So I thought about simply trying to find the velocity, but I don't know how I would go about doing that.

How do you expect to get lift from a flat boomerang? What have you read so far about how boomerangs work?

http://blossoms.mit.edu/video/tan/tan-watch.html

I have watched his video. That is the boomerang i intend to make. I want to know the possible calculations I can make with my level of physics understanding (I am an ap physics student).

Last edited by a moderator:
jjellybean320 said:
http://blossoms.mit.edu/video/tan/tan-watch.html

I have watched his video. That is the boomerang i intend to make. I want to know the possible calculations I can make with my level of physics understanding (I am an ap physics student).

The concept I was asking about was how you generate lift with the cardboard. I didn't watch the full 30-minute video, but presumably he talks about how to bend the cardboard to make more of an airfoil shape with lift.

The wikipedia link has lots of good info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomerang

They talk about the airfoil and lift aspects, and there are links to cardboard/paper boomerang articles.

As for calculations, I'd look for any lift calculations that are outlined in the wikipedia or other articles, and see if you can relate that to how quickly the boomerang turns in its flight.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, i'll look into that.

Related to Cardboard boomerang experiments and calculations

1. How do you make a cardboard boomerang?

Making a cardboard boomerang involves cutting out a boomerang shape from a sheet of cardboard, adding airfoils to the ends, and shaping the wings to create lift. The exact process may vary depending on the design of the boomerang.

2. What materials are needed for a cardboard boomerang experiment?

To conduct a cardboard boomerang experiment, you will need a sheet of cardboard, scissors or a craft knife, a ruler, a pencil, and possibly some tape or glue. You may also want to have a measuring tape or scale to record the distance the boomerang travels.

3. How do you calculate the range of a cardboard boomerang?

The range of a cardboard boomerang can be calculated by measuring the distance it travels when thrown and accounting for any wind or other factors that may affect its flight. You can also use mathematical equations that take into account the angle of throw, air resistance, and other variables.

4. What is the purpose of conducting cardboard boomerang experiments?

Cardboard boomerang experiments can be used to study the principles of aerodynamics, such as lift and drag, and to test different designs and variables to see how they affect the flight of the boomerang. They can also be a fun and educational activity for children and adults alike.

5. Can cardboard boomerangs be dangerous?

While cardboard boomerangs are generally safe to use, they can still cause harm if thrown incorrectly or in an unsafe environment. It is important to always follow proper throwing techniques and to use caution when throwing near people or objects. Children should always be supervised when using cardboard boomerangs.