Carbon concentrating mechanism

In summary, the conversation is about a student's first semester bio course, where they are learning to write formal lab reports through research from peer-reviewed journals. The student is confused about the term "carbon concentrating mechanism" which keeps appearing in the papers they are reading. They ask if it is related to carbon fixation and if it refers to a cell's ability to store carbon dioxide for later use. They mention that they have only seen this term used in science journals and are seeking clarification. Another user on the forum suggests doing a search with quotes for more information and offers to help. The student thanks them for their help and mentions that they have a general understanding of the concept now.
oranboron
My first semester bio course is having us practice writing formal lab reports by doing some research through peer reviewed journals our university has access to and citing it in our paper.

however something that keeps coming up in the papers I'm reading is something called "the carbon concentrating mechanism." I have no idea what that means. I was wondering if it was in relation to Carbon fixation? my topic is on photosynthesis and respiration in algae and leaf cells. Is it a term that is referring to a cells ability to store carbon dioxide to use so it can later fix it into a sugar molecule ? I only see this used in science journals and nowhere else so I am confused.

Thank you for your help.

Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF forums! if you haven't had a chance, take a look around.. There are many interesting and useful topics discussed around PF. Also there are many knowlegable folks willing to help guide people and explain confusing subjects.
I didn't know what your carbon concentrating mechanism was either, but did find a good explanation on the net.. Just do a search, and make sure you put "carbon concentrating mechanism" in quotes. If you like, add another keyword like algae in the same search box.

Thank you, Ouabache. I think i' have figured out a general idea of how it works now but i did google for it using those quotes and others...but only found journal articles to skim through. Appreciate the help anyways.

Related to Carbon concentrating mechanism

1. What is a carbon concentrating mechanism?

A carbon concentrating mechanism (CCM) is a biochemical process used by some organisms, such as plants and algae, to accumulate carbon dioxide (CO2) from the environment and store it for use in photosynthesis. It allows these organisms to thrive in low CO2 environments, such as the ocean.

2. How does a carbon concentrating mechanism work?

A CCM typically involves specialized structures or organelles within the cell that facilitate the uptake and concentration of CO2. These structures often contain enzymes that can convert CO2 into forms that are easier to store and use in photosynthesis, such as bicarbonate ions.

3. What are the benefits of a carbon concentrating mechanism?

The main benefit of a CCM is that it allows organisms to thrive in environments with low levels of CO2. This can be especially important for aquatic organisms, as the concentration of CO2 in water is much lower than in the air. Additionally, a CCM can increase the efficiency of photosynthesis, leading to faster growth and higher productivity.

4. Which organisms have a carbon concentrating mechanism?

A carbon concentrating mechanism is found in a variety of organisms, including plants, algae, and some bacteria. Within these groups, not all species have a CCM, and the specific mechanism can vary. For example, some plants have specialized cells called bundle sheath cells that act as a CCM, while other plants use a different mechanism involving specialized proteins.

5. How is a carbon concentrating mechanism studied?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study CCMs, including genetic analysis, microscopy, and biochemical assays. They may also conduct experiments to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of different CCMs. Understanding how these mechanisms work can provide valuable insights into the evolution and adaptation of organisms to different environments.