Carbon at very low temperatures

• Thread starter RichPeterson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Carbon
In summary, carbon has many useful properties at low temperatures, and research is ongoing into the possibility of using carbon in various ways in optical and electronic technologies.
RichPeterson
Has study or experimentation been done on chemically and isotopically pure carbon at very low temperatures? Thanks, Rich Peterson

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably - most things have.
It has a useful engineering property. It's thermal conductivity drops suddenly below about 15K. You use it as a thermal short on liquid Helium cooled instruments, it gives you a thermal path to get the cold in during pre-cooling but then 'disconnects' to give good insulation once you are cold.

Thanks

Moreover, charcoal sorption pumps are routinely used to get to temperatures below 1K. Adsorption energies and kinetics for different elements/compounds at various temperatures would definitely have been well studied. At temperatures above 1K, carbon-glass RTDs are widely used for thermometry in magnetic fields. Lots of good reasons to study carbon at low temperatures.

But as mgb said above, it doesn't matter that there be reasons - it would have been studied nevertheless.

In laser spectroscopy, crystals emit shorter bandwidths at very low temperatures. So their radiation has sharper peaks. Carbon might have similar properties if it has any spectroscopic use.

nanoWatt said:
In laser spectroscopy, crystals emit shorter bandwidths at very low temperatures. So their radiation has sharper peaks. Carbon might have similar properties if it has any spectroscopic use.
How is this different from garden variety thermal broadening that is seen in virtually every spectrum of any material?

I am not sure, since I studied the laser crystals many years ago. We cooled them to liquid Helium temperatures, and just noticed the emission peaks became very sharp.

We would use the 514nm Argon, and the crystals would emit in the IR. We weren't interested in the broadening, but more the narrowing of the emission cross-section.

nanoWatt said:
I am not sure, since I studied the laser crystals many years ago. We cooled them to liquid Helium temperatures, and just noticed the emission peaks became very sharp.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you completely, this is perfectly natural behavior that is not characteristic of your specific material. Take a look at the temperature dependence of any photoluminescence spectrum, or x-ray diffraction/fluorescence spectra, or spin resonance spectra, etc.

somewhere i read carbon conducts electricity at some specific temperature...is it true?

Rajini said:
somewhere i read carbon conducts electricity at some specific temperature...is it true?

Yep, different forms of pure carbon also exhibit different properties of conductivity. Specifically, graphite is a good conductor, which becomes even better when made into different structures such as fullerines. Diamond is a good insulator unless mixxed in with some other element (such as blue diamond, a semiconductor).

A quick word as to why, graphite is sp2 hybridized which allows for the movement of electrons, while diamond is sp3. The pi bond is graphite covers multiple atoms and allows for delocalization of electrons. I won't go into too much detail, since this information is something I'd expect you can find in lots of introductory books on quantum mechanics or nanotechnology.

Lots of work is being done on superconductivity in carbon nanostructures, a quick search on arxiv and you can probably find some of the more interesting papers and something a bit more advanced. Will post more on this subject when I have more time.

Last edited:
hi thanks..for making me to remember these nice details..

It's cool, sometimes the simplest stuff is the easiest to forget :redface:

I often forget to put on my shoes before going to work :P

Related to Carbon at very low temperatures

What is the significance of studying carbon at very low temperatures?

Studying carbon at very low temperatures, such as in the range of -273 to -183 degrees Celsius, allows scientists to observe unique physical and chemical properties of carbon that are not evident at higher temperatures. This research has applications in fields such as materials science, astrophysics, and quantum computing.

How do scientists achieve these extremely low temperatures for carbon?

Scientists use specialized equipment, such as cryogenic systems or dilution refrigerators, to cool carbon samples to very low temperatures. These systems use a combination of liquid gases, such as nitrogen or helium, and vacuum insulation to reach temperatures close to absolute zero.

What are some of the properties of carbon at very low temperatures?

At very low temperatures, carbon exhibits properties such as superconductivity, where it can conduct electricity with zero resistance, and superfluidity, where it can flow without any friction. Carbon also becomes more rigid and can form unique structures, such as fullerenes and nanotubes.

What are the potential applications of studying carbon at very low temperatures?

Studying carbon at very low temperatures has potential applications in creating high-performance materials, developing quantum computers, and understanding the behavior of carbon-based molecules in space. It can also contribute to advancements in fields such as renewable energy and medical imaging.

What challenges do scientists face when working with carbon at very low temperatures?

Working with carbon at very low temperatures presents several challenges, including maintaining the extremely low temperatures for extended periods, avoiding contamination from impurities, and studying the properties of carbon in these extreme conditions, which can be difficult to replicate in a laboratory setting.