Carbon as cathode in dry cell?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of carbon as the cathode in dry cell batteries. The carbon electrode is inert and does not react, but its ratio with manganese dioxide affects the characteristics of the battery. There is also a safety precaution for discarding dry cell batteries. The conversation also touches on the function of the gasket in mercury button batteries and the classification of secondary cells as reversible electrochemical processes. The expert believes that treating charging and discharging as separate models is artificial and complicates things unnecessarily.
Quotes
I was studying about dry cell and read that carbon(graphite) rod surrounded by MnO2 is used as cathode but when i read the chemical reaction equation at cathode given as :
MnO2 + NH4+ + e - - - - > MnO(OH) +NH3
I nowhere found carbon... So where is it actually used? (i found this for mercury cells too)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Carbon electrode is inert - it doesn't react, it just transfers the charge.

Likes Quotes
Borek is right in that the carbon electrode does not react, but if I may add (if interested), the ratio of manganese dioxide and carbon powder in the cathode paste affects the characteristics of the cell; more carbon powder lowers the internal resistance, but more manganese dioxide improves capacity. This implies that there is an optimum ratio of C(s)/MnO2(s) in the electrolyte gel.

Also, and a little FYI for safety, when discarding dry-cell batteries, always put a piece of insulating tape (e.g., masking tape, electrical tape, duct tape, etc.) over the electrodes of dry-cell batteries. Discarding several dry-cell batteries (in, say a sack or waste bag without taping the electrodes) may bring the electrodes in contact and produce enough heat to ignite a fire. There have been reports of discarded batteries igniting and causing considerable damage to homes. Good question and nice reply Borek.

Likes Quotes and epenguin
Thank you so much... Both of you cleared my doubt quite well... And james thanks for that extra piece of information too. Thanks once again

I have got one more question about cells. What is the funtion of the gasket in the mercury cell? (I saw it in the diagram just below the outer covering i. e. Below the cell can)

Are you asking about a Mercury/Zinc Button Battery, or the Castner-Kellner mercury electrolysis of Brine Water to generate chlorine gas and NaOH?

It's the first one I am asking about -Mercury/Zinc Button Battery. Sorry for not mentioning it...

If you don't mind, could you send the link with the photo of interest? or, the photo ... Just so we're on the same page on this. The term 'gasket' in this issue may have different meanings between us; that is, insulator vs semi-permeable plate. If it's the semi-permeable plate (if I may guess), it is a porous material/plate that has been soaked in a strong electrolyte such as NaOH and functions as the 'Salt Bridge' separating the anode (Zn/ZnOxide oxidation side) from the cathode (Hg-Oxide/Hg reduction side). As the battery discharges, the Zinc reacts with the hydroxide forming a Zn-Hydroxide Complex which decomposes to Zn-Oxide. The sodium from the salt bridge migrates toward the HgO/Hg cathode to counter balance loss of cationic charge when mercury in mercuric oxide is reduced to Hgo(s).

Last edited:
Likes Quotes
Another question again!... Can we describe a secondary cell as a cell which works initially as a electrochemical cell and when it comes to recharging it functions as electrolytic cell?

Why not? But to be honest I fell like it is an artificial classification. Reversible electrochemical process doesn't care about which way it goes.

But the reactants in the galvanic cell which get used up while supplying electrical energy require electric current from an outer source when it comes to recharging... and which means that the reaction is non spontaneous in the reverse direction. So how can we say that it is an reversible process (which are spontaneous by nature).
Please clarify this its quite confusing, and are there any corrections I can make to the statement in my previous post?

Borek said:
Why not? But to be honest I fell like it is an artificial classification. Reversible electrochemical process doesn't care about which way it goes.
May I know what did you mean by artificial classification? Where did I go wrong in making that statement.

Sure, charging requires putting energy into the cell, discharging means you draw the energy from the cell. But it is still the same setup, and the same reaction, just run in different direction. While technically there is nothing wrong with treating it as two separate models, they are for most purposes identical - the only difference is a flip of sign. Thus you can either use one universal model to describe the cell regardless of whether it is charged or discharged, or use two separate models. The latter approach is artificial for me, it complicates things for no apparent gain.

Likes Quotes
Borek said:
Sure, charging requires putting energy into the cell, discharging means you draw the energy from the cell. But it is still the same setup, and the same reaction, just run in different direction. While technically there is nothing wrong with treating it as two separate models, they are for most purposes identical - the only difference is a flip of sign. Thus you can either use one universal model to describe the cell regardless of whether it is charged or discharged, or use two separate models. The latter approach is artificial for me, it complicates things for no apparent gain.
That indeed was a good answer. I got my doubt cleared. Thanks for the help!

Related to Carbon as cathode in dry cell?

1. What is a dry cell and how does it work?

A dry cell is a type of electrochemical cell that produces electricity through a chemical reaction. It consists of a cathode, anode, and electrolyte. The cathode is the positive terminal, and it is typically made of carbon. The anode is the negative terminal, usually made of zinc. The electrolyte is a paste or gel that contains ions to facilitate the flow of electricity.

2. How does carbon function as a cathode in a dry cell?

Carbon is a good choice for a cathode in a dry cell because it is a good conductor of electricity and has a high surface area. When the dry cell is activated, the carbon cathode reacts with the electrolyte to produce a flow of electrons. This flow of electrons creates an electrical current that can power devices.

3. What are the advantages of using carbon as a cathode in a dry cell?

There are several advantages to using carbon as a cathode in a dry cell. Firstly, carbon is readily available and inexpensive, making it a cost-effective option. Additionally, carbon has a high surface area, which allows for more efficient electron transfer and a longer battery life. Finally, carbon is non-toxic and environmentally friendly, making it a sustainable choice for battery production.

4. Are there any limitations to using carbon as a cathode in a dry cell?

While carbon is a versatile and practical material for use as a cathode in dry cells, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that carbon has a lower energy density compared to other materials, such as lithium. This means that a dry cell with a carbon cathode may not have as much energy storage capacity as a lithium-based battery. Additionally, carbon can also be affected by corrosion, which can reduce the battery's performance over time.

5. Can carbon be recycled from dry cell batteries?

Yes, carbon can be recycled from dry cell batteries. The recycling process involves breaking down the battery components, including the carbon cathode, and separating them for reuse. The recycled carbon can then be used in the production of new batteries or other products. Recycling carbon from dry cell batteries helps to reduce waste and conserve resources, making it an environmentally friendly option for battery disposal.