Caratheodory's formulation of thermodynamics, Rejected?

In summary, the conversation is about different formulations of thermodynamics, specifically Caratheodory's formulation. The participants discuss the relevance and validity of various papers and sources that discuss this topic, including a book by Peter Landsberg and a paper by Lieb and Yngvarson. One participant also mentions a paper they found on arxiv, but another participant dismisses it as a "crackpot article." The main point of contention seems to be the interpretation of Caratheodory's inaccessibility principle and whether it is equivalent to other forms of the second law of thermodynamics.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I was trying to find some papers on caratheodory's formulation of thermodynamics and This paper is one of the things I found. I want to know is there any respond to this paper till now?Should we say the formulation should be put aside?
Any other ideas are welcome too.
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
No, on the contrary, I think it is the basis for most modern formulations. Check out the book by Peter Landsberg, Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, which uses his approach.
A very good account of the different formulations of thermodynamics can be found in the book by Buchdahl:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/052104359X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
An axiomatic approach which avoids some too restrictive assumptions of Caratheodory is in the recent paper by Lieb and Yngvarson:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/cond-mat/9708200

Yeah...I like Caratheodory's formulation too...but the paper I gave the link to in my first post is stating that Caratheodory's inaccessibility principle isn't equivalent to other forms of the second law because there is no process in nature that violates only the second law.They either satisfy first and second laws or only satisfy the first law(I don't know about this one!). The author then proves that for a state to be inaccessible from a given state by adiabatic processes,the process should violate the first law which means a process is found that violates the first law but satisfies Caratheodory's statement of the second law which is a different case compared to the other forms of the second law and so Caratheodory's principle isn't equivalent to other forms of the second law.

I tried to find the logic behind the paper you mentioned, but I did not succeed. Apparently, it was never published in a peer reviewed journal. So as long as you can't find strong arguments as to convince me that there is any substance on that paper, I would discard it as irrelevant. Where did you dig it out, in the first place?

DrDu said:
I tried to find the logic behind the paper you mentioned, but I did not succeed. Apparently, it was never published in a peer reviewed journal. So as long as you can't find strong arguments as to convince me that there is any substance on that paper, I would discard it as irrelevant. Where did you dig it out, in the first place?

I was searching about Caratheodory's formulation and I found this on arxiv.
I'm not sure about the argument too and that's why I posted this thread. But I don't think I can simply ignore it.

I think we are discussing a crackpot article here and the logic is far from clear.
Anyhow it is a typical task as a referee to recognize this kind of articles and refute them, so this thread is more apt for the section "Academic Guidance" than "Classical Physics".

From what I understood, the starting point of the article is the claim that a general irreversible cyclic process can be run at least in one direction (he even marks this boldface, although you it is only clear from the context that he seems to refer specifically to a cyclic process). If that is not possible, he claims this to be due to the process violating the first law.
He then argues that going from B to a and back to B is a cyclic process and is impossible in either direction according to Caratheodory. What he doesn't take into account is that Caratheodory does not talk about general irreversible changes but only adiabatic ones. Evidently such a cyclic process would be possible if we would allow for an exchange of heat.

Related to Caratheodory's formulation of thermodynamics, Rejected?

1. What is Caratheodory's formulation of thermodynamics?

Caratheodory's formulation of thermodynamics is a mathematical formulation of the laws of thermodynamics, proposed by the mathematician Constantin Caratheodory in the early 20th century. It is based on the concept of a state space, which represents all possible states of a thermodynamic system. This formulation provides a rigorous and concise mathematical framework for understanding and analyzing thermodynamic processes.

2. How does Caratheodory's formulation differ from other formulations of thermodynamics?

Unlike other formulations of thermodynamics, which are based on empirical observations, Caratheodory's formulation is based on purely mathematical principles. It does not rely on any specific assumptions or models, making it more general and applicable to a wider range of systems. However, it is often considered more abstract and difficult to understand compared to other formulations.

3. Why was Caratheodory's formulation rejected?

Caratheodory's formulation was rejected by many physicists and engineers at the time of its proposal because it was considered too abstract and difficult to apply to practical problems. This led to its rejection and the continued use of other formulations, such as the Gibbs and Clausius formulations, which were more intuitive and easier to understand.

4. Is Caratheodory's formulation still relevant today?

Yes, Caratheodory's formulation is still relevant today and is used in advanced studies of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. It provides a rigorous mathematical framework for understanding the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and has been used to derive many important results in this field.

5. Are there any practical applications of Caratheodory's formulation?

While Caratheodory's formulation may not have direct practical applications, it has been influential in the development of other mathematical theories and techniques, such as information theory and differential geometry, which have numerous real-world applications. Additionally, understanding the fundamental principles of thermodynamics through this formulation can aid in the design and optimization of various systems and processes.