Car Wheel Statics: Calculating Radial Force at 1m

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the radial force on a wheel bearing that is 1m away from the center of an engine. The suggested method is to use statics and sum the directions. The solution involves splitting the engine weight in half and multiplying by the distance, resulting in a force of 2.452kN. The bar pushing down can be ignored at the wheel location. There is confusion about why the torque was calculated and a suggestion to draw a free body diagram to show all external forces.
Mechaman

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a/IYbP1
A Car sitting on a frame with an attached bar pressing down on the hinged section (Orange). A hinged section coming off the frame with a wheel attached (Blue)

How to calculate the radial force on the wheel bearing at 1m away from centre of engine?

Homework Equations

Statics, sum of the directions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have split the engine weight into 2 and multiplied by the distance 1m to get 250kg.m

If I multiply 250kg by 9.81N I get 2.452kN of force.
I'm negating the bar pushing down because that will be set equal to the Fxd at that location, so I can ignore that for the wheel location?

How is 250kgm equal to 250kg even though it's 1m away? How do I convert this properly to get a force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechaman said:
and multiplied by the distance 1m to get 250kg.m

Can you explain why you calculated the torque? The torque would be trying to bend the frame and would be resisted by equal internal forces.

How about drawing a free body diagram just showing all the external forces?

Related to Car Wheel Statics: Calculating Radial Force at 1m

1. How do you calculate the radial force at 1m for a car wheel?

The radial force at 1m for a car wheel can be calculated using the formula F = m x v^2 / r, where F is the radial force, m is the mass of the wheel, v is the car's velocity, and r is the radius of the wheel.

2. What is the significance of calculating radial force at 1m for a car wheel?

The calculation of radial force at 1m is important for understanding the stability and performance of a car wheel. It helps determine the force that the wheel exerts on the ground, which affects the car's handling and traction.

3. How does the weight of the car affect the calculation of radial force at 1m?

The weight of the car does not directly affect the calculation of radial force at 1m. However, it indirectly affects it by determining the mass of the wheel, which is used in the calculation formula.

4. Can the radial force at 1m change for different wheel sizes?

Yes, the radial force at 1m can vary for different wheel sizes. This is because the radius of the wheel (r) is a factor in the calculation formula, and changing the wheel size will change the value of r.

5. How is the calculation of radial force at 1m used in the design of car wheels?

The calculation of radial force at 1m is an important factor in designing car wheels that can handle the weight and speed of the car. It helps engineers determine the optimal size and materials for the wheels to ensure stability and performance on the road.