Car bumper crash - deformation

In summary, car bumpers deform in a crash as they are designed to absorb impact and protect the rest of the vehicle. The design and materials of the bumper can affect its ability to deform. Factors such as speed, angle of impact, and bumper condition can also influence deformation. In most cases, a deformed bumper cannot be repaired and must be replaced to ensure safety. A deformed bumper may also pose safety concerns in future crashes if not replaced.
brokenlickz

Homework Statement

hi all,

Given:
a car is reversing at 4km/h, weight = 1500kg... n whamps into a lamp post. I'm suppose to calculate the bending of the bumper, which is made of AlZn4,5Mg1 material.

bumper is 900mm long n fix onto the car body
dimension : 80x80mm U profile with a 5mm thickness

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i assume that we should use the kinetic energy formula which is

E = 1/2mv2

to get the amount of initial energy.

According to the law of conservation energy.

initial energy = final energy
= deformation energy/potential energy + sound energy(neglegible) + heat (neglegible )

from my what I've considered here, i guess i need a force F in order to calculate the bending distance of the bumper.

but from the formulas i have above, how do i go about getting the force F which works on the bumper?

the area underneath the stress strain diagramme of this material wouldn't help much because i couldn't really calculate (accurately) the area after the elasticity limit right?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to approach problems in a systematic and logical manner. In this case, we are given the initial velocity of the car, its weight, and the material properties of the bumper. Therefore, we can start by using the kinetic energy formula, as you have suggested, to calculate the initial energy of the car.

E = 1/2mv^2

However, we must also take into account the fact that the car is reversing, so the velocity would be negative. This would result in a negative value for the initial energy, which is not physically possible. Therefore, we must also consider the direction of the force and the resulting change in velocity.

Next, we must consider the force acting on the bumper during the collision. This force would be the result of the car's weight and its velocity, and would also depend on the angle of impact and the material properties of the bumper. We can use the formula for momentum to calculate the force:

F = mΔv/Δt

where m is the mass of the car, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time of impact. This would give us an estimate of the force acting on the bumper.

From there, we can use the material properties of AlZn4,5Mg1 to calculate the stress and strain on the bumper, which would help us determine the amount of deformation. The stress-strain diagram would give us an idea of the material's behavior under different forces and how much it can withstand before reaching its elastic limit.

In summary, it is important to consider all the relevant factors and use appropriate formulas and equations to approach this problem. It may also be helpful to consult with engineers or other experts in material science to get a more accurate estimation of the force and deformation.

Related to Car bumper crash - deformation

1. What causes a car bumper to deform in a crash?

Car bumpers are designed to absorb the impact of a crash and protect the rest of the vehicle. When a car collides with another object, the energy from the impact is transferred to the bumper, causing it to deform. This deformation helps to reduce the force of the impact on the rest of the car and its occupants.

2. How does the design of a car bumper affect its deformation in a crash?

The design of a car bumper plays a crucial role in its ability to absorb impact and deform in a crash. Bumpers are typically made from materials such as plastic, aluminum, or steel, and their shape and thickness can greatly impact their ability to withstand and distribute the force of a crash. Bumpers with more surface area and thicker materials tend to deform less in a crash.

3. What factors can affect how much a car bumper deforms in a crash?

The amount of deformation a car bumper experiences in a crash can be influenced by several factors, including the speed and angle of impact, the weight and size of the vehicles involved, and the design and materials of the bumper itself. Bumpers that are well-maintained and in good condition may also be more effective at absorbing impact and preventing excessive deformation.

4. Can a deformed car bumper be repaired?

In most cases, a deformed car bumper cannot be repaired and will need to be replaced. This is because the structural integrity and effectiveness of the bumper may have been compromised in the crash. It is important to have a damaged bumper inspected and replaced by a professional to ensure the safety of the vehicle and its occupants.

5. Are there any safety concerns with a deformed car bumper?

A deformed car bumper may not be as effective at protecting the vehicle and its occupants in the event of another crash. The bumper may no longer be able to absorb impact and distribute force properly, increasing the risk of injury or damage in a future collision. It is important to have damaged bumpers replaced to maintain the safety of the vehicle.