Car Braking Distance at Different Initial Speeds

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving a car braking to a complete stop at different initial speeds. They discuss using kinematics and the work-energy theorem to approach the problem. The conversation then focuses on using equations to relate frictional force and distance, and setting up two equations to solve for the minimum braking distance. The student is initially confused about solving for the variable b, but with some assistance, they are able to solve the problem and the final answer is 9b.
Mike667

Homework Statement

A car with an initial speed of 20 m/s brakes to a complete stop after traveling distance b from the moment the brakes are applied. What would be the minimum braking distance if the initial speed was 60 m/s?

Homework Equations

W= ΔKE

The Attempt at a Solution

I know for a fact that the answer is 9 or 9b. Simply because 60 is 3 times greater than 20. 3^2 is 9. But, I am having trouble solving this with the formula. Can someone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two basic ways to approach this; from kinematics there is an eqn which relates velocity^2 to a, acceleration and x distance.

An alternative approach would be to use work energy theorum, which is how you are setting this up. Do you know an eqn that relates frictional force (braking in this instance) with distance?

denverdoc said:
Two basic ways to approach this; from kinematics there is an eqn which relates velocity^2 to a, acceleration and x distance.

An alternative approach would be to use work energy theorum, which is how you are setting this up. Do you know an eqn that relates frictional force (braking in this instance) with distance?

ΔKE is 1/2(m)(v)^2 right? I have no idea what you mean by an equation that relates frictional force with distance. f*d, perhaps? Where would i put the b in the formula?

Last edited:
you're on the right track, my man. B would go where d is.

since final velocity is zero, we know all energy went into friction unless there was a vertical difference, say up a slope involved.

so we set up up eqn, relating the initial kinetic energy to a stopping force, which is directly proportional to mass as well:

1/2mV^2=Ff*b where Ff=m*g*mu, my lord you say we now have more variables. The way out and probably the easiest approach is to set up two equations representative of each situation and to divide the two.
Hope this helps.

denverdoc said:
you're on the right track, my man. B would go where d is.

since final velocity is zero, we know all energy went into friction unless there was a vertical difference, say up a slope involved.

so we set up up eqn, relating the initial kinetic energy to a stopping force, which is directly proportional to mass as well:

1/2mV^2=Ff*b where Ff=m*g*mu, my lord you say we now have more variables. The way out and probably the easiest approach is to set up two equations representative of each situation and to divide the two.
Hope this helps.

g is 10 right? but what does mu stand for?

Ok, so

f*b = 1/2(m)(20)^2

f*b = 200m?

f*b= 1/2(m)(60)^2

f*b= 1800m?

I feel like I am missing something here.

you're getting there.
The mistake is we don't know what b is in the second case, that's an X.
So set it up as you have, and solve for X,

Why isn't b an x in the first case then?

f*b = 1/2(m)(20)^2

f*b = 200m?
f*x= 1/2(m)(60)^2

f*x= 1800m?Then what? how can i get the answer to just be 9b?

perfect, divide the two eqns, and solve for x in terms of b.

Ummm can you show that, please?

I think I see a problem here, you have problems with word problems.
Not alone! Your algebra could likely benefit as well from some tutoring.

So on top of the fraction we have:
f*b=200 on bottom we have fx=1800
therefore b/x=1/9

Wait wait wait, so you're saying the answer is 1/9, not 9b?
I definitely see where you're coming from, its just that I supposed the answer would look different.

B/x=1/9, then what is X?

X is 9, B is 1?

you have it X=9B.

alright, thanks a lot man.

No sweat, recommend PF to all! And get some assistance with algebra if you can as this was the biggest barrier to the soln. Your reasoning spot on, just unfamiliarity with tricks to get the answer.

Related to Car Braking Distance at Different Initial Speeds

1. What is car braking distance?

Car braking distance refers to the distance that a car travels from the moment the brakes are applied to the moment the car comes to a complete stop.

2. What factors affect car braking distance?

The factors that affect car braking distance include the speed of the car, the condition of the road, the type and condition of the tires, the weight of the car, and the condition of the brakes.

3. How is car braking distance calculated?

Car braking distance is calculated using the formula: distance = (speed)^2 / (2 x deceleration). Deceleration is a measure of how quickly the car is slowing down and is affected by the factors mentioned above.

4. What is the average car braking distance?

The average car braking distance varies depending on the speed of the car and other factors. However, at a speed of 60 mph, the average car braking distance is around 216 feet on dry pavement.

5. How can I reduce my car's braking distance?

To reduce your car's braking distance, you can ensure that your tires are properly inflated and in good condition, maintain a safe driving speed, and leave enough space between you and the car in front of you. Regular maintenance of your brakes is also important to ensure they are working efficiently.