Car battery terminal corrosion

In summary, the corrosion on the battery cable is caused by a chemical reaction between the copper and the acid. The corrosion is most likely to happen on the positive cable, because the positive terminal is more exposed to the acid. The lead in the battery bars had no effect on the acid's color.
johnl
I know only a little about chemistry, but am curious as to what makes up the white/blue crystalized corrosion that sometimes gets into the terminals on car batteries? What reaction is happening, etc. Also, does the polarity of the terminal favor the reaction, one any more than the other + vs - ?

I have truck where the positive battery terminal is corroded on the outside. On removing it the cable itself broke open and you could see the corrosion had actually progressed through the cable under the insulation for quite a distance. The cable looks to be copper. In between the individual strands the corrosion surrounds each wire, kind of cool, but then again I have to replace it, no longer a good enough conductor to carry starter current ;)

In contrast, the negative cable is perfectly clean.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The corrosion is usually the copper conductor in the battery cable.

johnl said:
I know only a little about chemistry, but am curious as to what makes up the white/blue crystalized corrosion that sometimes gets into the terminals on car batteries? What reaction is happening, etc. Also, does the polarity of the terminal favor the reaction, one any more than the other + vs - ?

I have truck where the positive battery terminal is corroded on the outside. On removing it the cable itself broke open and you could see the corrosion had actually progressed through the cable under the insulation for quite a distance. The cable looks to be copper. In between the individual strands the corrosion surrounds each wire, kind of cool, but then again I have to replace it, no longer a good enough conductor to carry starter current ;)

In contrast, the negative cable is perfectly clean.

I used copper wire to suspend lead bars in sulfuric acid, for a test i was conducting, going back about 6 months later the copper had dissolved and the acid was a very pretty blue. The lead had not sulfated one bit.

Related to Car battery terminal corrosion

1. What causes car battery terminal corrosion?

Corrosion on car battery terminals is caused by a chemical reaction between the metal terminals and the sulfuric acid in the battery. This reaction produces a white, powdery substance known as lead sulfate. Over time, this corrosion can build up and interfere with the flow of electricity from the battery to the car's engine.

2. How can I prevent car battery terminal corrosion?

To prevent car battery terminal corrosion, it is important to regularly clean the terminals with a mixture of baking soda and water. This solution can neutralize any acid and remove any buildup of corrosion. Additionally, applying a small amount of petroleum jelly or a commercial terminal protector can help to prevent future corrosion.

3. Can car battery terminal corrosion affect my car's performance?

Yes, car battery terminal corrosion can definitely affect your car's performance. As the corrosion builds up on the terminals, it can interfere with the flow of electricity and cause problems starting the car. It can also affect the charging of the battery, leading to a decrease in overall performance and potentially causing the battery to die prematurely.

4. How often should I check my car battery terminals for corrosion?

It is recommended to check your car battery terminals for corrosion every 3-6 months or whenever you have the hood open for routine maintenance. However, if you notice any signs of corrosion such as difficulty starting the car or buildup on the terminals, it is important to address it immediately.

5. Can I remove the corrosion on my car battery terminals myself?

Yes, you can remove the corrosion on your car battery terminals yourself with the proper tools and materials. As mentioned before, a mixture of baking soda and water can be used to clean the terminals. It is important to use gloves and eye protection when handling this solution, as it can be corrosive. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with this task, it is always best to consult a professional mechanic.