Capacity of a Barge: 10.56 Million kg Coal

In summary, the barge can hold a total of 10,560 kg of coal in freshwater without sinking. The steel plate used to construct the barge has negligible weight, so the barge will float if the density of the water is equal to the changing density of the barge.
Mitchell Powell

Homework Statement

An open barge has the dimensions shown in the figure.
https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/59/59574-46462a33e8dd3e05fa12094d99749d9c.jpg
If the barge is made out of 5.2-cm-thick steel plate on each of its four sides and its bottom, what mass of coal can the barge carry in freshwater without sinking?

Homework Equations

p = m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

V = 22 * 40 * 12 m3 = 10,560 m3

pwater = 1,000 kg/m3

1,000 kg/m3 = m/10,560

m = 1,000*10,560 = 10,560,000 kg

Attachments

• YF-14-38.jpg
    YF-14-38.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,051
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about the steel plate from which the barge is constructed? Is this a new, weightless steel?

I wasn't sure what to make of that. The density of steel is not given, and answers online range from 7,750 kg/m3 to 8,050 kg/m3. Is it significant if I go with one vs. the other?

When in doubt, you can take an average density of steel, or use the heaviest steel to cover your bases.

As to whether the weight of steel is significant, you have enough information to determine the weight of steel in the barge.

I see that I can determine the volume of steel used,

H = 12 m
W = 22 m
L = 40 m
T = .052 m

V = 2(H * W * T) + 2(H * L * T) + (L * W * T) = 123.136 m3

I can't see how you would determine the weight of steel with the information given, without using the density (7,900 kg/m3 average).

I was actually able to work it out. Seems the steel density is insignificant.

mbarge = psteel * V = 7,900 * 123.136 = 972774.4 kg

Since we are adding weight to the barge by adding coal, the weight of the barge should be mbarge + mcoal

As long as the density of the barge is less than the density of water (1000 kg/3), the barge floats. So, setting the density of water equal to the changing density of the barge gives:

pwater = (mbarge + mcoal)/V

Solving for mcoal = (pwater * mbarge) - mbarge

The mass of the coal comes out to roughly 9.6 * 106

Thank you for your help! I greatly appreciate it!

Related to Capacity of a Barge: 10.56 Million kg Coal

1. What is the capacity of a barge?

The capacity of a barge refers to the maximum weight or volume of cargo that it can hold. In the case of a barge carrying coal, the capacity is measured in kilograms of coal.

2. How much coal can a barge hold?

A barge with a capacity of 10.56 million kilograms of coal can hold up to 10.56 million kilograms of coal. This amount may vary depending on the size and design of the barge.

3. Why is the capacity of a barge measured in kilograms?

The capacity of a barge is typically measured in kilograms because it is a standard unit of weight that can be easily converted and compared with other units of weight. In some cases, the capacity may also be measured in metric tons.

4. How does the capacity of a barge affect its transportation efficiency?

The capacity of a barge plays a crucial role in its transportation efficiency. A larger capacity means that more cargo can be transported in one trip, resulting in fewer trips and lower transportation costs. It also allows for better utilization of resources and can increase the overall efficiency of the transportation process.

5. Can the capacity of a barge be increased?

Yes, the capacity of a barge can be increased by modifying its design or adding additional equipment. However, there are limitations to how much the capacity can be increased, as it depends on factors such as the size and weight limitations of the waterway it will be traveling on.