Capacitors in common emitter audio amplifier

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a capacitor being connected in reverse in a lab manual. The speaker is unsure why this is the case and asks for clarification. It is mentioned that connecting a capacitor in reverse can cause it to explode due to the polarity not being observed. This can result in a short circuit and high fault current within the capacitor.
nobrainer612

Homework Statement

Hello. When I looked at my lab manual, I saw the capacitor CB is connected in reversed direction. The AC source is connected to resistor RS, then connected to the negative polarity of CB. But I have no idea why it connects in reverse. Can please anyone tell me the reason? I have tried to connect capacitor in reverse ( not in this audio amplifier) and the capacitor exploded.

2eekh2x.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The average of the voltage from your signal generator is 0V. The average of the voltage at the junction of R1 and R2 is some positive voltage. Electrolytic capacitors must be connected so average polarity is observed, otherwise they may explode. Instead of maintaining an insulating dielectric, the reversed polarity can destroy part of the dielectric causing a short circuit and high fault current inside the capacitor.

Related to Capacitors in common emitter audio amplifier

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and its ability to store charge is measured in farads.

How are capacitors used in common emitter audio amplifiers?

In common emitter audio amplifiers, capacitors are used for coupling and bypassing. Coupling capacitors are placed between different stages of the amplifier to allow only the desired AC signal to pass through. Bypass capacitors are used to filter out unwanted noise and DC components from the audio signal.

What is the purpose of the input capacitor in a common emitter audio amplifier?

The input capacitor in a common emitter audio amplifier blocks the DC component of the input signal, allowing only the AC component to pass through. This is important because amplifiers are designed to work with AC signals, and DC signals can cause distortion or damage to the circuit.

Can a capacitor affect the frequency response of a common emitter audio amplifier?

Yes, capacitors can affect the frequency response of a common emitter audio amplifier. Different types and values of capacitors have different frequency responses, and their placement in the circuit can also impact the amplifier's frequency response.

What are the consequences of using a faulty or incorrect capacitor in a common emitter audio amplifier?

If a faulty or incorrect capacitor is used in a common emitter audio amplifier, it can cause distortion, reduced power output, or even damage to the amplifier. It is important to use the correct type and value of capacitors to ensure proper functioning of the amplifier.