Capacitors and related Voltages.

• Thread starter Badger33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, when a capacitor plate is near a grounded plate, the magnitude of the plate voltage is smaller due to the ground acting as an infinite receiver of electrons. When the charge on a capacitor is doubled, the voltage also doubles, and to double the positive charge on one plate without changing the negative charge on the other, the area of the plate must be doubled.
Badger33

Homework Statement

1) A capacitor plate holds a given charge Q. Why is the magnitude of the plate voltage small when a grounded plate is near, but large (for the same Q) when it is alone?

2) If the charge Q on a capacitor is doubled, what is the change in the voltage one measures on the capacitor? (Remember that Q is the magnitude of the charge on each plate, both positive and negative.)

3) How could you double the positive charge on one capacitor plate without changing the negative charge on the other plate?

2. The attempt at a solution

1) The magnitude of the plate voltage is smaller when a grounded plate is near, because when a plate is grounded the ground is an infinite receiver to store electrons and is also an infinite supply of electrons. When the plates are brought into proximity of each other the ground offsets the charges, thus effectively lowering the magnitude of the voltage.

2) the voltage doubles. Look at the equations V=Q/C and also V=(Qd)/(εA).

3) You would have to change the area of the plate.

Solution Rational
For question 1 I am 98% sure I am correct. 2) Think I am 100% correct. 3) This is where me and my roommate are in differencing opinions, I think that you will have to reduce the area by half and he thinks that you will have to double the area. Who is correct on number 3 and is my rational on the previous 2 questions sound?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: For question 3, you would need to double the area of the plate in order to double the positive charge on one capacitor plate without changing the negative charge on the other plate. Your rational for questions 1 and 2 is correct.

Related to Capacitors and related Voltages.

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

What is the purpose of a capacitor?

The main purpose of a capacitor is to temporarily store electrical energy and release it when needed. It can also be used to filter out certain frequencies in a circuit, and to regulate voltage levels.

How does a capacitor work?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, one of the plates becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the electrical energy. When the capacitor is connected to a circuit, it releases the stored energy.

What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suitable for different applications.

What is the relationship between capacitors and voltage?

Capacitors and voltage are closely related. As the voltage across a capacitor increases, the amount of charge that can be stored also increases. Similarly, if the voltage decreases, the amount of stored charge decreases as well.