Capacitor with two angled dielectric materials

In summary, the problem involves finding the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor with a dielectric material, where the dielectric changes at a linear rate given by a linear equation. The method involves considering multiple parallel capacitors and integrating to find the total capacitance. However, special care must be taken when checking the final answer for the case where the dielectric material is uniform.
Siberion

Homework Statement

Find the capacitance of the capacitor shown in the figure. Asume H << L.
http://imageshack.us/a/img39/1935/capacitor.png

Homework Equations

Capacitance of a plate parallel capacitor with a dielectric material e: eA/H where A denotes the area of the plate, and H the separation between plates

The Attempt at a Solution

My thoughts:

The line separating the dielectric materials can be written as f(x)=Hx/L (I rotated the system so the line starts in the origin)
The system can be considered as multiple parallel capacitors in which the proportion of the dielectric changes at the rate given by the linear equation.
First, I calculated the differential capacitance of two capacitors in series, whose length is dx. Their capacitances are given by:

[tex]C1= \frac{e1Ldx}{H-\frac{Hx}{L}}[/tex]
[tex]C2= \frac{e2Ldx}{\frac{Hx}{L}}[/tex]

After getting the equivalent capacitance, I integrated from 0 to L, hoping to get the total capacitance of the system.
Thing is, when I assume e1=e2, I don't get the capacitance of a normal plate parallel capacitor with one dielectric material.

I really want to know if the logic of my process is okay, because I've tried about 5 times to check if calculus are done right.

Sorry for my english and the simplicity of my explanation, I'll try to explain further when I get a little more time.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct. Checking the final answer for e1 = e2 could be a little tricky because it might require taking a limit as e1 approaches e2. An easy thing you can do is let e1 = e2 before doing the integral and see if the integral gives the expected result. If not, you know you haven't set up the integral correctly.

It would help if you would show the form of the integral that you set up. From your expressions, it appears that the capacitor plates are squares of edge length L.

Related to Capacitor with two angled dielectric materials

1. What is a capacitor with two angled dielectric materials?

A capacitor with two angled dielectric materials is a type of electrical component that is used to store and release electrical energy. It consists of two plates made of conductive material, separated by two different types of dielectric material placed at an angle to each other.

2. How does a capacitor with two angled dielectric materials work?

When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, the electric field between the two plates causes the electrons in the conductive material to move towards the positive plate, creating a build-up of charge. The dielectric materials help to increase the capacitance of the capacitor, allowing it to store more charge.

3. What are the advantages of using two angled dielectric materials in a capacitor?

One advantage is that it allows for a larger surface area between the plates, which increases the capacitance of the capacitor. Additionally, the angled placement of the dielectric materials helps to reduce the electric field strength, making the capacitor more stable and less prone to breakdown.

4. What are the applications of a capacitor with two angled dielectric materials?

These capacitors are commonly used in electronics and electrical systems for power factor correction, energy storage, and filtering. They are also used in high voltage applications, such as in power transmission and distribution systems.

5. Are there any limitations of using two angled dielectric materials in a capacitor?

One limitation is that the angle between the dielectric materials must be carefully chosen to ensure optimal performance. If the angle is too small or too large, it can decrease the capacitance and affect the stability of the capacitor. Additionally, these capacitors may be more expensive to manufacture compared to traditional capacitors with one dielectric material.