Capacitor with a dielectric: studying for an exam

In summary, The conversation discusses a parallel-plate capacitor with a dielectric constant of 5.5, area of 0.034m^2, and plate separation of 2mm. It is mentioned that if the electric field exceeds 200kN/C, the capacitor will burn up. The question is then posed about finding the maximum energy stored by the capacitor. The person attempted to use equations for capacitance and energy, but notes that the field magnitude in a dielectric is not the same as in free space and suggests further consideration of this factor.
mariexotoni
Okay so I have a parallel-plate capactior
k=5.5
Area= .034m^2
Plate Separation= 2mm
If the Electric Field falls short, the capacitor will burn up if exceeding 200kN/C.

It's asking for the max energy stored by the capacitor.

My attempt was lame.
I tried using
C= (ε0)A/d

and since it's a dielectric, i replace ε0 with ε0k

Also I used
U= .5CV^2
Replacing V with E/d

Physics news on Phys.org
For a capacitor the field magnitude in a dielectric is not the same as the field magnitude in free space. So you might want to think a bit more about how the dielectric will affect things.

Related to Capacitor with a dielectric: studying for an exam

1. What is a capacitor with a dielectric?

A capacitor with a dielectric is an electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as the dielectric.

2. How does a dielectric affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

A dielectric increases the capacitance of a capacitor by allowing more charge to be stored on the plates. It also reduces the electric field between the plates, making the capacitor more efficient.

3. What are the different types of dielectric materials used in capacitors?

There are various types of dielectric materials used in capacitors, including ceramic, paper, plastic, and electrolytic. The choice of dielectric material depends on the specific application and requirements of the capacitor.

4. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor with a dielectric?

The capacitance of a capacitor with a dielectric can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. What is the importance of studying capacitors with dielectrics for an exam?

Studying capacitors with dielectrics is important for understanding the principles of energy storage in electrical circuits. It is also essential for various applications such as power supply, filtering, and energy conversion, which are commonly tested in exams.