Capacitor in a Parallel Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit drawn in the shape of a rectangle with various components such as resistors, DC cells, and a capacitor. The question at hand is what are the currents at every point in the circuit, and the conversation goes on to clarify that the current in the portion of the circuit with the capacitor is zero if the capacitor is not charging or discharging. The potential difference across the middle branch is not zero, and there is a potential difference across the DC cell and the capacitor. The conversation concludes with a realization of a previous mistake and a thank you for the assistance.
PhotonTrail

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how to put this in words, but I shall try. Alternatively, I've attached an image. It's hand-drawn, but I hope it's legible enough.

Imagine a circuit drawn in the shape of a rectangle, with a single resistor ##R_1## on the top side, plus a DC cell ##\epsilon_2## and a second resistor ##R_3## on the bottom side. Now connect the left and right sides of the rectangle with a horizontal line in the middle. This portion of the circuit contains the following: a capacitor ##C_1##, a second DC cell ##\epsilon_1##, and a third resistor ##R_2##.

Question: What are the currents at every point in the circuit?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say that the portion of the circuit with the capacitor has no current flowing through, i.e. ##I_2=0##. I originally thought too that ##I_1## and ##I_3## are equal to zero too, because I found it difficult to accept that there will be current flowing in the other parts of the circuit if there is no potential difference across the middle branch.

Am I mistaken in thinking that ##I_2## is zero? If I am not, am I wrong in assuming that the potential difference between the left and right sides of the middle branch is zero? If I am still not, then why do the top and bottom branches have currents flowing? How do the potential differences work out?

Many thanks for any assistance!

Attachments

• PIC000304.jpg
    PIC000304.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
PhotonTrail said:

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how to put this in words, but I shall try. Alternatively, I've attached an image. It's hand-drawn, but I hope it's legible enough.

Imagine a circuit drawn in the shape of a rectangle, with a single resistor ##R_1## on the top side, plus a DC cell ##\epsilon_2## and a second resistor ##R_3## on the bottom side. Now connect the left and right sides of the rectangle with a horizontal line in the middle. This portion of the circuit contains the following: a capacitor ##C_1##, a second DC cell ##\epsilon_1##, and a third resistor ##R_2##.

Question: What are the currents at every point in the circuit?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say that the portion of the circuit with the capacitor has no current flowing through, i.e. ##I_2=0##. I originally thought too that ##I_1## and ##I_3## are equal to zero too, because I found it difficult to accept that there will be current flowing in the other parts of the circuit if there is no potential difference across the middle branch.

Am I mistaken in thinking that ##I_2## is zero?
You are not mistaken about this. The current, ##\ I_2\,,\ ## is zero.

... Well, it's zero if the capacitor is not charging or discharging.

If I am not, am I wrong in assuming that the potential difference between the left and right sides of the middle branch is zero?
Yes. You are wrong about this. That ##\ I_2=0\ ## only means that the voltage drop across R3 is zero. The is a potential difference across ##\ \varepsilon_1\ ## and also across the capacitor.

If I am still not, then why do the top and bottom branches have currents flowing? How do the potential differences work out?

Many thanks for any assistance!

SammyS said:
You are not mistaken about this. The current, ##\ I_2\,,\ ## is zero.

... Well, it's zero if the capacitor is not charging or discharging.

Forgot to mention that it's in steady state, sorry!

SammyS said:
Yes. You are wrong about this. That ##\ I_2=0\ ## only means that the voltage drop across R3 is zero. The is a potential difference across ##\ \varepsilon_1\ ## and also across the capacitor.

Ahh I see it now. What an embarrassing blunder. Thanks a bunch! :)

Related to Capacitor in a Parallel Circuit

1. What is a capacitor in a parallel circuit?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge. In a parallel circuit, it is connected to each other and the other components in a way that allows the same voltage to be applied across all of them.

2. How does a capacitor affect the current in a parallel circuit?

A capacitor in a parallel circuit affects the current by allowing it to flow through it, but it also stores some of that current. This means that the overall current in the circuit will be divided between the capacitor and the other components in the circuit.

3. What is the role of a capacitor in a parallel circuit?

The role of a capacitor in a parallel circuit is to store electrical energy and release it when needed. It also helps to regulate the flow of current in the circuit, preventing sudden changes or spikes in voltage.

4. How does the capacitance of a capacitor in a parallel circuit affect the overall circuit?

The capacitance of a capacitor in a parallel circuit affects the overall circuit by determining how much charge it can store. A higher capacitance means the capacitor can store more charge, which can impact the overall current and voltage in the circuit.

5. What happens if a capacitor in a parallel circuit is connected in reverse?

If a capacitor in a parallel circuit is connected in reverse, meaning the positive and negative terminals are switched, it can cause damage to the capacitor and other components in the circuit. This is because the capacitor will not be able to function properly, and may even cause a short circuit.