Capacitor Charge/Discharge boundary conditions for time

In summary, the voltage equation for a capacitor shows a graph with different sections, and each section has a different equation that describes it. The equation for the beginning of the graph is different from the equation for the end of the graph, and the equation for the middle is different from the equation for the beginning and end.
kev.thomson96
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Capture.PNG

I know dV=1/C∫idt and that we integrate the voltage from V to V0. What I don't get are the boundary conditions for t - How do we get what we get in the parenthesis? My closest assumption is that the t/T values refer to the areas described by the voltage graph - triangles and rectangles. I have noticed that the we section the period every time there's a change in current, and therefore, in voltage (0<t<2T, 2T<t<3T, etc.)

Also what use am I supposed to make of Q=-IT? From this equation and the first one we get i=dQ/dt, but so what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I understand your question.

I see a piece-wise definition of v(t) on the graphic in the lower right. Is that what you are asking about?

Yes. I don't get why we have what we have in the parenthesis - I thought for 0<t<2T we'd have I(2T-0)/C but we have I(t-T)/C instead. Same goes for the rest.

At each change of the current, the capacitor voltage equation changes to follow a new curve---here it's a new straight line. A straight line is a linear function of t, but if the graph is rising then t will have a positive coefficient, and if falling t will have a negative coefficient in that section. The steeper the rise or fall, the greater will be the magnitude of the coefficient of t in the describing equation. In each section of the graph, the capacitor voltage usually doesn't start from 0V, it starts with an initial voltage determined by where it ended in the previous section. All of these three considerations must be taken into account when writing each straight-line equation for all the pieces that together describe VC.

Likes kev.thomson96

Related to Capacitor Charge/Discharge boundary conditions for time

1. What is the difference between a charged and discharged capacitor?

A charged capacitor stores electrical energy, while a discharged capacitor has no stored energy.

2. How does the capacitance affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor?

The capacitance, measured in Farads, determines how much charge a capacitor can hold for a given voltage. A higher capacitance will result in a slower charging and discharging process.

3. What is the time constant of a capacitor and how is it calculated?

The time constant, denoted by the symbol τ, is a measure of how quickly a capacitor charges or discharges. It is calculated by multiplying the capacitance (C) by the resistance (R) in the circuit, τ = RC.

4. How do the boundary conditions for charging and discharging a capacitor differ?

The boundary conditions refer to the starting and ending levels of charge for a capacitor. When charging, the starting level is 0 and the ending level is the maximum charge the capacitor can hold. When discharging, the starting level is the maximum charge and the ending level is 0.

5. What factors can affect the charging and discharging process of a capacitor?

The main factors that can affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor include the capacitance, resistance, and voltage in the circuit. Other factors such as temperature, dielectric material, and external interference can also affect the process.