Capacitance of two spherical conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of charge between two spherical conductors (r1 and r2) connected by a thin wire and charged with 7 uC. The participants discuss using charge density and electric potential to find the charge distribution, with the conclusion that the charges must be distributed in a way that ensures equal electric potential for each sphere. The potential difference between the spheres is 0 and the potential of the system is the sum of the potentials of each sphere (V1 + V2). However, this information is not necessary to find the charge distribution.
funkwort
Given that two spherical conductors of radii r1 and r2 are separated by
x>>(both r), connected by a thin wire, and charged with 7 uC - how is the charge distributed between the spheres (no charge on wire)?

I tried using charge density but:

Qtot/A1+A2 = Q1/A1 + Q/A2 doesn't work by definition

then maybe:

C(dV) = Q for either sphere - but how do you find dV without knowing the charge on each first? However, I got the correct answers when I flukily got dV by using the total charge of the system (7uC) and the sum of the radii (r1+r2) and multiplying by C of each sphere. I don't understand why this worked though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,i don't follow your "proof".I would advise you to use the fact that the charges on the 2 spheres are distributed in such a way,as to insure equal electric potential for each sphere...

Daniel.

why do they have to have the same electric potential?

Because if they didn't charge would be moving from one to another until they did.So better assume that they already do.

Daniel.

ok, I see. This means that the potential difference between them is 0 right? Also, would the potential of the system be V1 + V2?

Yes to the first question...As for the second,you don't need that piece of information.

Daniel.

Ok, but what if I wanted to know the potential of the system - would it be V1 + V2?

Yes,potential (electric) is additive.But,again,you don't need this info.

Daniel.

Related to Capacitance of two spherical conductors

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and represents the ratio of the stored charge to the potential difference between two conductors.

2. How is capacitance of two spherical conductors calculated?

The capacitance of two spherical conductors can be calculated using the formula C = 4πε0r, where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance between the two conductors.

3. Does the size of the conductors affect capacitance?

Yes, the size of the conductors does affect capacitance. In general, the larger the conductors, the higher the capacitance. This is because the larger surface area allows for more charge to be stored between the conductors.

4. How does the distance between the conductors affect capacitance?

The distance between the conductors has an inverse relationship with capacitance. This means that as the distance between the conductors increases, the capacitance decreases. This is because the electric field between the conductors weakens as the distance increases, resulting in less charge being stored.

5. Can the capacitance of two spherical conductors be changed?

Yes, the capacitance of two spherical conductors can be changed by altering the distance between the conductors or by changing the material between the conductors. For example, using a dielectric material between the conductors can increase the capacitance.