Capacitance of Parallel cylinders

This will give you the capacitance per unit length in terms of the charge per unit length and potential difference. From there, you can use the given values for capacitance and separation distance to solve for the charge per unit length, and then use that to find the gauge wire necessary for different separations. In summary, use Gauss' Law to find the electric field and potential difference between the two cylinders, and then use those values to solve for the capacitance per unit length and the necessary gauge wire for different separations.
jfy4

Homework Statement

Two long, cylindrical conductors of radii [itex]a_1[/itex] and [itex]a_2[/itex] are parallel and separated by a distance [itex]d[/itex], which is large compared with either radius. Show that the capacitance per unit length is given approximately by
[tex]
C=\pi\epsilon_0 \left(\ln\frac{d}{a}\right)^{-1}
[/tex]
where [itex]a[/itex] is the geometric mean of the two radii.
Approximately what gauge wire (state diameter in millimeters) would be necessary to make a two-wire transmission line with a capacitance of [itex]1.2\times10^{-11}[/itex] F/m if the separation of the wires was 0.5 cm? 1.5 cm? 5.0 cm?

Homework Equations

[tex]
C=\frac{Q}{\phi}
[/tex]
[tex]
\phi=-\int \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm pretty lost on this... I'm not sure how to construct this from scratch, my only work is from backwards, and I feel shady about it...

Here it is:
We know that [itex]C=Q/\phi[/itex] and we are given the capacitance per unit length [itex]C'=C/l[/itex], so I did this
[tex]
\phi=\frac{q}{C' l}=\frac{\lambda}{\pi\epsilon_0}[\ln(d)-\ln(\sqrt{a_1 a_2})]
[/tex]
with [itex]\lambda[/itex] the charge per unit length, which can be written as
[tex]
\phi=-\int_{d}^{\sqrt{a_1 a_2}} \frac{\lambda}{\pi\epsilon_0 }\frac{1}{r}dr
[/tex]
Then the electric field would be
[tex]
\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{\pi\epsilon_0 r}\hat{r}
[/tex]
Now if I were to continue with this (and I'm not committed to this :) ), how could I manage to write this as a superposition of two cylindrical electric fields from two different conductors with equal and opposite charges...?

Can someone give me a hand here?

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the electric field of the cylinders by using Gauss' Law, and use that to find the potential difference between the two cylinders. Then you can substitute your result into the formula for capacitance.

Related to Capacitance of Parallel cylinders

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge.

2. How is capacitance of parallel cylinders calculated?

The capacitance of parallel cylinders can be calculated using the formula C = 2πε0εr/ln(b/a), where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the cylinders, and a and b are the radii of the inner and outer cylinders, respectively.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of parallel cylinders?

The capacitance of parallel cylinders is affected by the distance between the cylinders, the radii of the cylinders, and the permittivity of the material between the cylinders.

4. How does increasing the distance between the cylinders affect capacitance?

Increasing the distance between the cylinders decreases the capacitance, as the electric field between the cylinders weakens and less charge can be stored.

5. What is the significance of capacitance of parallel cylinders in practical applications?

The capacitance of parallel cylinders is important in many practical applications, such as in capacitors used in electronic circuits, power transmission lines, and energy storage devices. It also plays a role in determining the capacitance of geological formations in oil exploration.