Capacitance of 3 Hollow Cylinders

In summary, the problem involves finding the capacitance of a system of 3 concentric hollow cylinders with charges distributed evenly according to surface area. The two outer cylinders are connected by a wire, and the system is infinitely long. The solution involves treating the setup as two capacitors and using the electric field to find the potential and calculating the capacitance using C=Q/V. The final step is to determine whether the capacitors are connected in series or parallel in order to properly calculate the cumulative capacitance of the system.
adenine7

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the capacitance of a system of 3 concentric hollow cylinders. The first cylinder has radius R, the second radius 2R, the third radius 3R. Cylinders 1 and 3 are connected by a wire. In total, they have charge +λ, and the second cylinder has charge -λ. The cylinders are infinitely long.

Homework Equations

Ehollow cylinder = (1 / 2πεo)*(Q / RL)
C= Q / V

The Attempt at a Solution

Since cylinders 1 and 3 are connected by the wire, the charge will distribute evenly according to surface area. Cylinder 3 has 3 times as much surface area, so it will have charge 3λ/4 (And Cylinder 1 will have charge λ/4).

I know that to solve this problem I must integrate the electric field to find the potential, and use that in C=Q/V to find capacitance. However, I don't really understand what the limits of my integration are. The outer cylinders are positive, so their electric fields point inwards to the middle cylinder. Do I account for their opposite directions (cancelling each other out partially)? Do I just integrate E from R to 3R? Do I need to multiply two oppositely signed integrals by the proportion of charge?

I was thinking of multiplying ∫E from R to 2R by λ/4, and multiplying ∫E from 2R to 3R by 3λ/4, then subtracting those. My believe my biggest trouble is that I don't understand how to deal with more than 2 surfaces for capacitor (and I can't find anything to help me online).

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried treating the setup as two capacitors?

Thanks for the reply!
Ok, so treating it as two capacitors (Where V1 is potential difference for the inner two cylinders and V3 is potential difference for the outer two cylinders):

V1 = -∫R2R Q / 8πεLR dR = -Qln(2) / 8πεL = Qln(1/2) / 8πεL

C= Q / V, so C1 = 8πεL / ln(1/2)

Same thing for C3, except Q is multiplied by 3/4 instead of 1/4.
C3 = 8πεL / 3ln(1/2)

Do I add these together to get the cumulative capacitance of the system?

Last edited:
Anyone know how I should proceed?

Are the caps connected in series or parallel?

I'm not sure I understand the question. The capacitor is 3 concentric cylinders, and the only wire in the problem is connecting the inner and outer cylinders (I guess this means they are connected in series?).

You are modelling a single complicated capacitor as an electrically equivalent network of simpler ideal capacitors connected by ideal "wires".
In this case you have two ideal caps - and there are two "wire" connections. (The ideal wires do not have to be physical wires - they can be any conductor that plays the role of equalizing the voltage between two places.)

If you sketch out the series and parallel configurations for two ideal caps, and look at how the charges are distributed between the plates, you should be able to figure out the configuration that is right for you.

Related to Capacitance of 3 Hollow Cylinders

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of an object to store electric charge. It is measured in units of farads (F) and is determined by the geometry and material properties of the object.

2. How is capacitance calculated for 3 hollow cylinders?

The capacitance of 3 hollow cylinders can be calculated using the formula C = 2πε0εrl / ln(b/a), where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the cylinders, l is the length of the cylinders, and a and b are the radii of the inner and outer cylinders, respectively.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of 3 hollow cylinders?

The capacitance of 3 hollow cylinders is affected by the distance between the cylinders, the material between the cylinders, and the length and radii of the cylinders. It is also influenced by the shape and orientation of the cylinders.

4. Can the capacitance of 3 hollow cylinders be increased?

Yes, the capacitance of 3 hollow cylinders can be increased by decreasing the distance between the cylinders, increasing the relative permittivity of the material between the cylinders, or increasing the length and/or radii of the cylinders.

5. What are some practical applications of 3 hollow cylinders with high capacitance?

High capacitance 3 hollow cylinders can be used in various electronic devices such as capacitors, sensors, and filters. They can also be used in energy storage systems such as batteries and supercapacitors. Additionally, they have applications in medical devices, telecommunications, and power transmission systems.