Capacitance in a conducting cylinder

In summary, a cylindrical capacitor of length L with a solid conducting core of radius R and an outer hollow conducting tube with an inner radius 3R has a voltage V_{ab} applied between the two cylinders. Assuming L >> R, edge effects can be neglected. To determine the charge per unit length, voltage at 2R, total charge, electric field at 2R, capacitance, and energy stored in the capacitor, the equations \lambda = \frac{q}{L}, V = -\int_R^{3R}{Edr}, and C = \frac{q}{V} are used. If a dielectric constant K is inserted between the cylinders, these calculations will need to be repeated.
oreosama

Homework Statement

A cylindrical capacitor of length L consists of a solid conducting core with a radius R and an outer outer hollow conducting tube with an inner radius 3R. A voltage [tex]V_{ab}[/tex] is applied between the two cylinders. Assume L >> R which means we can neglect edge effects.

Given [L, R, [tex]V_{ab}[/tex], K]

Determine:

The charge per unit length for the capicitor
The voltage at 2R
The total charge on the capacitor
The electric field at 2R
the capacitance
the energy stored in the capacitor

Find all answers again if a dielectric K is inserted between the cylinders

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda = \frac{q}{L}[/tex]
[tex]\oint E \cdot dA = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
[tex]V = \int E \cdot dl[/tex]
[tex]C = \frac{q}{V}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is kind of all over the place and it makes me have doubts on what I am doin

[tex]\lambda = \frac{q}{L}[/tex] but we need to solve for q at some point

[tex]V(2R) = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \cdot \ln{R}[/tex] (use gauss law to solve for E apply to V formula with 3R as "0")

I'm not sure what direction to approach finding the charge(or if I am doing the rest so far right). capacitance isn't given so C = q/v won't help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oreosama said:

Homework Statement

A cylindrical capacitor of length L consists of a solid conducting core with a radius R and an outer outer hollow conducting tube with an inner radius 3R. A voltage [tex]V_{ab}[/tex] is applied between the two cylinders. Assume L >> R which means we can neglect edge effects.

Given [L, R, [tex]V_{ab}[/tex], K]

Determine:

The charge per unit length for the capicitor
The voltage at 2R
The total charge on the capacitor
The electric field at 2R
the capacitance
the energy stored in the capacitor

Find all answers again if a dielectric K is inserted between the cylinders

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda = \frac{q}{L}[/tex]
[tex]\oint E \cdot dA = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
[tex]V = \int E \cdot dl[/tex]
[tex]C = \frac{q}{V}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is kind of all over the place and it makes me have doubts on what I am doin

[tex]\lambda = \frac{q}{L}[/tex] but we need to solve for q at some point

[tex]V(2R) = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \cdot \ln{R}[/tex] (use gauss law to solve for E apply to V formula with 3R as "0")

I'm not sure what direction to approach finding the charge(or if I am doing the rest so far right). capacitance isn't given so C = q/v won't help.

Your formulas for V is not correct. Check the units: The argument of he logarithm has to be dimensionless.
You have definite integral when calculating the potential difference between the inner and outward cylinders. Also, check the sign in the firs equation in red.
At the end, substitute λ=q/L, then you can get the capacitance as C=q/V.

ehild

oh, whoops. I meant ln(3R/2R) -> ln(3/2). you're saying use V(2R) as basis for the capacitance? I was kind of confused on how V(2R) contains all the charge we're talking about, but since the voltage I measured is from the surface of both conductor surfaces it should catch it all? I'm trying to conceptually understand :)

You have integrate the electric field between the cylinders to get the potential difference between them.
It is [tex]\Delta V = V(3R)-V(R) = - \int_R^{3R}{Edr}[/tex] . There are equal charges on both cylinders, with opposite signs; q and -q. C=q/|ΔV|.

ehild

Last edited:
The concept of voltage being constant in a capacitor for some reason was lost on me.. that makes sense. this voltage is the same as the given correct? so

[tex]q = \frac{VL 2 \pi \epsilon_0}{\ln{1/3}}[/tex]

[tex]C = \frac{L 2 \pi \epsilon_0}{\ln{1/3}}[/tex]

Yes, only the sign has to be changed to positive. The voltage is equal to the potential drop between the surfaces, it is -ΔV. If you replace ln(1/3) with ln(3) your result is correct.

ehild

Last edited:
Oh my... Does this apply to everything I've done so far? Are you just saying "voltage" is the "opposite of the potential difference"?

There is some confusion when using the word potential difference and voltage. Some people use voltage for potential, or potential difference. In Ohm's Law or in the definition of capacitance V=IR or V=q/C, V stands for the voltage a voltmeter would read if you connect its positive terminal to the the positive side of the resistor/capacitor and the negative terminal to the negative side.
The electric field is equal to the negative gradient of the potential, the integral of E from 1 to 2 gives -(V2-V1). If you move in the direction of E, the integral is positive, and the potential drops from 1 to 2. V2 -V1 is called potential difference, but you use the positive V1-V2 when calculating capacitance.

Rather confusing, I know...

ehild

Related to Capacitance in a conducting cylinder

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a body to store an electrical charge. It is measured in farads (F).

2. How is capacitance related to a conducting cylinder?

A conducting cylinder has a certain capacitance due to its shape and material properties. It can store an electrical charge on its surface, similar to how a capacitor stores charge between its plates.

3. Why is capacitance important in a conducting cylinder?

Capacitance in a conducting cylinder is important because it affects the behavior of the cylinder in an electrical circuit. It also plays a role in the efficiency of certain devices, such as capacitors and transmission lines.

4. How is capacitance in a conducting cylinder calculated?

The capacitance of a conducting cylinder can be calculated using the formula C = 2πε0L/log(b/a), where C is capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, L is the length of the cylinder, b is the outer radius, and a is the inner radius.

5. What factors affect the capacitance of a conducting cylinder?

The capacitance of a conducting cylinder is affected by its shape, size, and material properties. It also depends on the dielectric medium surrounding the cylinder and the distance between the cylinder and other conductive objects in the circuit.