Capacitance, Charge and Voltage (P.D.)

In summary, the electric field intensity between the plates of a parallel plate air capacitor is 474308N.
MemoNick
1. One question I'm having a lot of trouble solving is this: The plates of a parallel plate air capacitor have an area of 100cm2. The capacitor has a capacitance of 3.5nF and is connected to a 12V battery. It is fully charged. Calculate the:

a) separation of the plates
b) magnitude of electric field intensity between the plates
c) the charge stored on the capacitor plates

ε0 is equal to 8.854x10-12/m

2. I used C = (ε0εr (1 in this case)A)/(d) and E = V/d and Q = CV

3. The area is 0.01m2, and using the first equation, along with the given capacitance, I found the distance to be 2.53x10-5m. Using the second equation I found the magnitude to be 474308N. Then I used the last equation to find the charge to be 4.2x10-8.

Now, the real difficulty... the circuit is broken, and an insulating material filling the whole distance between the two plates is inserted. It has a dielectric constant of 3.5. This material covers the same area of the plates, plus a border of 2cm.

This border doesn't affect the area, since the first formula deals with the common area, in this case 0.01m2. I was asked for the new capacitance, for which I multiplied the one I was given (3.5nF) by the dielectric constant - for a new capacitance of 1.22x10-8. So far, so good.

However, my stumbling block was when I was asked to find the change in the potential difference between the two plates. How do I find that?

Thanks in advance, any help is extremely appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
MemoNick said:

... Then I used the last equation to find the charge to be 4.2x10-8.

... the circuit is broken, and an insulating material filling the whole distance between the two plates is inserted. It has a dielectric constant of 3.5. This material covers the same area of the plates, plus a border of 2cm.

... for a new capacitance of 1.22x10-8. So far, so good.

... the change in the potential difference between the two plates. How do I find that?
:smile:

Likes 1 person
MemoNick said:
1. One question I'm having a lot of trouble solving is this: The plates of a parallel plate air capacitor have an area of 100cm2. The capacitor has a capacitance of 3.5nF and is connected to a 12V battery. It is fully charged. Calculate the:

a) separation of the plates
b) magnitude of electric field intensity between the plates
c) the charge stored on the capacitor plates

ε0 is equal to 8.854x10-12/m

3. The area is 0.01m2, and using the first equation, along with the given capacitance, I found the distance to be 2.53x10-5m.
Okay.
Using the second equation I found the magnitude to be 474308N.
Incomplete units.
Then I used the last equation to find the charge to be 4.2x10-8.
Units?
Now, the real difficulty... the circuit is broken, and an insulating material filling the whole distance between the two plates is inserted. It has a dielectric constant of 3.5. This material covers the same area of the plates, plus a border of 2cm.

This border doesn't affect the area, since the first formula deals with the common area, in this case 0.01m2. I was asked for the new capacitance, for which I multiplied the one I was given (3.5nF) by the dielectric constant - for a new capacitance of 1.22x10-8.
Units?
So far, so good.
Except for your units. You WILL lose marks if your units are not correct or not given.
However, my stumbling block was when I was asked to find the change in the potential difference between the two plates. How do I find that?
What capacitor formula do you have that relates capacitance, charge, and potential difference? What do you know about the charge on the "new" capacitor?

Likes 1 person
So the charge doesn't change between the two parts? Hence I can use Q/C = V? If yes, then the voltage is 3.44V.

Also, sorry about the units. I had been going at this question for an hour, and I was extremely frustrated. Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate your help!

MemoNick said:
So the charge doesn't change between the two parts? Hence I can use Q/C = V? If yes, then the voltage is 3.44V.
Yup. The charge can't change if the capacitor is not connected to an external circuit.
Also, sorry about the units. I had been going at this question for an hour, and I was extremely frustrated. Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate your help!

Glad to help!

Related to Capacitance, Charge and Voltage (P.D.)

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the measure of an object's ability to store electrical charge. It is measured in Farads and is represented by the symbol C.

2. How is capacitance related to charge and voltage?

Capacitance is directly proportional to the amount of charge stored on an object and inversely proportional to the voltage across it. This means that as capacitance increases, so does the amount of charge that can be stored, while the voltage decreases.

3. What is the formula for capacitance?

The formula for capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance in Farads, Q is the amount of charge in Coulombs, and V is the voltage in Volts.

4. How does capacitance affect an electrical circuit?

Capacitance can affect an electrical circuit in various ways. It can store energy, filter out certain frequencies, and affect the time it takes for a circuit to charge or discharge. It also plays a role in the stability of a circuit and can cause problems such as signal distortion or interference.

5. How can capacitance be increased or decreased?

Capacitance can be increased by increasing the surface area of the conductors or by decreasing the distance between them. It can also be increased by using materials with a higher dielectric constant. Capacitance can be decreased by using materials with a lower dielectric constant or by increasing the distance between the conductors.