Capacitance Calc for Co-Planar Comb Electrode

In summary: Simons book "Coplanar waveguides, circuits..." is a good source of information on capacitors in coplanar geometries. There is a lot of fringe capacitance in this coplanar capacitor geometry, which makes it difficult to calculate analytically. Using a software like ANSYS or FEA may be helpful in getting accurate results.
nadiaza
can somebody give formula to calculate value of capacitance at co planar comb electrode as at the attachment..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,091
Engineering news on Phys.org
nadiaza said:
can somebody give formula to calculate value of capacitance at co planar comb electrode as at the attachment..

Welcome to the PF.

That is a pretty non-trivial geometry to get the capacitance for. Do you have any FEA computational tools available to you (like ANSYS for example)?

from where I can I get the theoritical formula for designing I Capacitor? i don't want to do the simulation...i just want to calculate the theoretical value..

[tex] \ C= \epsilon \frac{A}{d} [/tex]

where [itex] \epsilon [/itex] is the permittivity of the dielectric, [itex]A[/itex] is the mean area of the facing surfaces and [itex]d[/itex] is the spacing between the surfaces. it looks like you have 8 pair of facing surfaces.

you say this is all coplaner, then it really depends on how thick this coplaner comb is. if it's thin enough, all it will be is edge effects. if the thickness is much larger than [itex]d[/itex], it should approximate what it would be for facing plates.

the formula you give for parallel plate capacitor but not for co plnar capacitor i think..

Last edited by a moderator:
nadiaza said:
the formula you give for parallel plate capacitor but not for co plnar capacitor i think..

of course. and if the thickness of your coplanar capacitor is zero the capacitance is zero. if the thickness of your coplanar capacitor is enough greater than [itex]d[/itex], then the plate formula will become approximately correct for your coplaner capacitor. but you haven't said a word about how thick this thing is (relative to the spacing you have between the teeth).

Last edited by a moderator:
i can't remember how we dealt with edge effects and i don't know where the old textbook is. here is something i got from http://www.phenix.bnl.gov/phenix/WWW/muon/phnotes/PN125/node1.html :

"The capacitance between adjacent strips having a thickness, t, width, w, and separation, s, laying on a dielectric with constant, k, is approximately given by,

C(pf/cm) = 0.12t/w + 0.09(1+k)log_10(1 + 2w/s + w^2/s^2)."[tex] C \approx 0.12\frac{t}{w} + 0.18(1+k)\log_{10}\left( 1 + \frac{w}{s} \right) [/tex]judging from the units (pf/cm), i think this formula comes from capacitance per unit length is

[tex] C \approx (1.35) \epsilon_0 \frac{t}{w} + (0.87) (\epsilon_0 + \epsilon) \log \left( 1 + \frac{w}{s} \right) [/tex]

in whatever units. length should be much longer than [itex]t[/itex] or [itex]s[/itex] or even [itex]w[/itex].
it's obviously heuristic and not a theoretical formula.

Last edited:
There is no single formula for interdigital capacitors (which is what you are showing in the picutre) and if you really want accurate results you need to use simulation software (and even then it is not trivial to get accurate results).

That said, there are a bunch of heuristic formulas that can work quite well. rbj is showing one, but if that is not applicable you can find them in books on microwave transmission lines and elements.
I mostly use coplanar waveguides, and a good source of information about the use of interdigital capacitors in coplanar geometries can is Simons book ("Coplanar waveguides, circuits..." you can find it on Amazon).

Bob S said:
This comb filter capacitor geometry is pretty close to the variable tuning cap in my old am radio. See photo in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_capacitor

Bob S

No, it is not.
What the OP is asking about is an on-chip capacitor made in a single layer of metal on a substrate (i,e, it is "2-dimensional").
Capacitors of this type are used in microwave circuits, and will typically have a C of tens of fF.

f95toli said:
No, it is not.
What the OP is asking about is an on-chip capacitor made in a single layer of metal on a substrate (i,e, it is "2-dimensional").
Capacitors of this type are used in microwave circuits, and will typically have a C of tens of fF.

Agreed. There is a lot more fringe capacitance in this coplanar capacitor geometry. That's what makes it so hard to calculate analytically...

can i use this formula to calculate the capacitor :

c = 2ϵw(L-x)/ g

nadiaza said:
can i use this formula to calculate the capacitor :

c = 2ϵw(L-x)/ g

Sure. Bet your job on it.

Where did you get that?

I got from here.. but i little bit confuse the epsilon is for dielectric constant or dielectric for sensing element..
http://www.scribd.com/doc/59814159/80/Interdigitated-Comb-Capacitor

what recomended software that suitable to simulate this type of capacitor...

Related to Capacitance Calc for Co-Planar Comb Electrode

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the measure of a capacitor's ability to store electrical charge. It is measured in units of farads (F).

2. How is capacitance calculated for co-planar comb electrodes?

Capacitance for co-planar comb electrodes can be calculated using the formula C = ε*A/d, where C is capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the material between the electrodes, A is the overlapping area of the electrodes, and d is the distance between the electrodes.

3. What is the significance of capacitance in co-planar comb electrodes?

Capacitance is an important factor in the design of co-planar comb electrodes as it determines the amount of charge that can be stored and the sensitivity of the electrodes to changes in voltage. Higher capacitance values can result in better performance and sensitivity of the electrodes.

4. How can capacitance be optimized for co-planar comb electrodes?

Capacitance can be optimized by adjusting the overlapping area and distance between the electrodes. Increasing the overlapping area and decreasing the distance between the electrodes can result in higher capacitance values. The choice of material for the electrodes can also affect capacitance.

5. What are some applications of capacitance in co-planar comb electrodes?

Co-planar comb electrodes with optimized capacitance can be used in various applications such as chemical and biological sensing, MEMS devices, and touch screens. They are also commonly used in electronic circuits for signal filtering and tuning.