Capacitance between a wire and a plane

In summary, the homework statement says that an equation for the potential V of a wire carrying an electric field can be found by using Gauss's law and integrating over the surface of the wire. Additionally, the potential can be found by using the equation for the potential V of a plane, and taking into account the radius of the wire. Finally, the capacitance of the wire can be found by using the equation for the electric field, and the surface charge density.
Kelly Lin

Homework Statement

L6p8PMS.png

Homework Equations

I want to know whether my process is correct?
THANKS!

The Attempt at a Solution

OvAZ5dF.png
[/B]
1. By using Gauss's law:
[tex]E\cdot 2\pi rz = \frac{\lambda z}{\epsilon_{0}}\Rightarrow E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0} r}[/tex]
In my coordinate system, [tex]E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}[y^{2}+(z-d)^{2}]^{-1/2}}[/tex]
Then,
[tex]V=-\int\mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{l}=-\int_{0}^{z}\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}[y^{2}+(z-d)^{2}]^{-1/2}}dz=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}y}\ln{\frac{\left | \sqrt{d^{2}+y^{2}}-d \right |}{\left | \sqrt{(z-d)^{2}+y^{2}}+(z-d) \right |}}[/tex]
Since [tex]C=\frac{Q}{V}[/tex], then
[tex]
C(\text{per length})=2\pi\epsilon_{0}y\ln{\frac{\left | \sqrt{(z-d)^{2}+y^{2}}+(z-d) \right |}{\left | \sqrt{d^{2}+y^{2}}-d \right |}}
[/tex]
Use [tex]\sigma=-\epsilon\frac{\partial V}{\partial z}|_{z=0}[/tex] to get the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kelly Lin said:
whether my process is correct?
No, several errors.
You have written the expression for the field at some arbitrary point, (y, z).
First problem: the expression would be correct without the plate. Perhaps the charge distribution on the plate changes it?
Second problem: you integrate this wrt z,but leaving y as arbitrary. What path is that along?
Note that it would be simpler to run the integral in the other direction, avoiding the d-z.
Third problem: if you fix the second problem, you will get an integral that diverges at the wire end. You need to take into account the radius of the wire.
Fourth problem. You have z as a bound on the integral. What should it be?

haruspex said:
No, several errors.
You have written the expression for the field at some arbitrary point, (y, z).
First problem: the expression would be correct without the plate. Perhaps the charge distribution on the plate changes it?
Second problem: you integrate this wrt z,but leaving y as arbitrary. What path is that along?
Note that it would be simpler to run the integral in the other direction, avoiding the d-z.
Third problem: if you fix the second problem, you will get an integral that diverges at the wire end. You need to take into account the radius of the wire.
Fourth problem. You have z as a bound on the integral. What should it be?

Now, I correct my process!
Firstly, the electric field generated by the plane is [tex]E_{plane}=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}\hat{\mathbf{z}}[/tex].
Then, by the definition of potential, I can get the potential [tex]V_{plane}=-\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}z[/tex]
On the other hand, the electric field generated by the wire is [tex]E_{wire}=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}r}\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]
Then, the potential is [tex]V_{wire}=-\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}\ln{\frac{r}{a}}=-\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}\ln{\frac{\sqrt{(z-d)^{2}+y^{2}}}{a}}[/tex]
Thus, the total potential will be [tex]V_{total}=-\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}z-\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}\ln{\frac{\sqrt{(z-d)^{2}+y^{2}}}{a}}[/tex]

Now, we can use the relation [tex]\sigma=-\epsilon\frac{\partial V}{\partial z}|_{z=0}[/tex] to get the surface charge density.
[tex]

\sigma = \frac{\lambda}{2\pi} \frac{a}{\sqrt{(z-d)^{2}+y^{2}}} \frac{1}{2} \frac{2(z-d)}{\sqrt{(z-d)^{2}+y^{2}}} |_{z=0} + \frac{\sigma}{2}\\
\frac{\sigma}{2} = \frac{\lambda}{2\pi} \frac{-ad}{d^{2}+y^{2}}\\
\sigma = \frac{-\lambda a d}{\pi(d^{2}+y^{2})}

[/tex]
Then, we can go back and get the total potential in the system
[tex]
V =-\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}\ln{\frac{\sqrt{(z-d)^{2}+y^{2}}}{a}} + \frac{\lambda adz}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}(d^{2}+y^{2})}
[/tex]
and the capacitance per length of the wire is
[tex]
C = \frac{\lambda}{V} = \frac{2\pi\epsilon_{0}(d^{2}+y^{2})}{adz} - 2\pi\epsilon_{0}\ln{\frac{a}{\sqrt{(z-d)^{2}+y^{2}}}}
[\tex]

Kelly Lin said:
the electric field generated by the plane is
That expression is for a uniformly charged plane. It won't be.
Consider the method of images.

haruspex said:
That expression is for a uniformly charged plane. It won't be.
Consider the method of images.
At first glance of the question, I came up with this method.
However, the plane isn't grounded so I am unsure if this method is valid for this problem?

Kelly Lin said:
At first glance of the question, I came up with this method.
However, the plane isn't grounded so I am unsure if this method is valid for this problem?
It is an infinite plane. That is effectively grounded.

Likes Kelly Lin
Oh~ I see~
Thanks a lot!
haruspex said:
It is an infinite plane. That is effectively grounded.

Related to Capacitance between a wire and a plane

1. What is capacitance between a wire and a plane?

Capacitance between a wire and a plane refers to the ability of an object, such as a wire, to store electric charge when placed near a conducting plane. It is a measure of the amount of charge that can be accumulated on the wire when a voltage is applied between the wire and the plane.

2. How is capacitance between a wire and a plane calculated?

The capacitance between a wire and a plane can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the material between the wire and the plane, A is the area of the wire, and d is the distance between the wire and the plane.

3. What factors affect the capacitance between a wire and a plane?

The capacitance between a wire and a plane is affected by the distance between the wire and the plane, the size and shape of the wire, the material between the wire and the plane, and the presence of any other nearby conductors.

4. How does capacitance between a wire and a plane impact electrical circuits?

The capacitance between a wire and a plane can impact electrical circuits by affecting the amount of charge that can be stored on the wire and the amount of energy that can be stored in the circuit. It can also cause interference and affect the overall performance of the circuit.

5. How can capacitance between a wire and a plane be increased?

The capacitance between a wire and a plane can be increased by decreasing the distance between the wire and the plane, increasing the area of the wire, and using materials with higher permittivity between the wire and the plane. Adding capacitors in parallel can also increase the overall capacitance in a circuit.