Capacitance and Other Traits of a Coaxial Cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to electromagnetic theory, specifically dealing with current density and steady state. The problem involves finding the total current and integrating with respect to a specific variable. The main difficulty is in parts i and ii of the problem, as the rest are relatively simple. The conversation also mentions using equations related to current density, conductivity, and electric potential to solve the problem.
plot
This is for an electromagnetic theory class.

Homework Statement

Prompt can be seen here

Homework Equations

J = I/A, J = σE, V = Ed, C = εA/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble mostly with parts i and ii, as the rest are fairly simple to acquire after figuring out those two. Here's what I have so far:

A = (b-a)L
J = I/((b-a)L)
dE = (I/((b-a)L))d∅ (Here I'm honestly not sure what to integrate with, however my best guess is d∅, so after integrating nothing changes)
E = V/d
I = (Vσ(b-a)L)/((π/2)r)

At this point I'm not sure if that is the total current, or just a segment of current that needs to be integrated. Hence I don't know what to do with r.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Current density in steady state is just J=σE, and you should have no trouble computing E based on the fact that E=-∇V and the form they give you. Note that this part of the problem doesn't depend on ε at all. It's only when you get to surface charges that it will matter.

Related to Capacitance and Other Traits of a Coaxial Cylinder

1. What is capacitance and how does it relate to a coaxial cylinder?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electrical charge. In the case of a coaxial cylinder, capacitance refers to the amount of charge that can be stored between the two conductive cylinders.

2. How is the capacitance of a coaxial cylinder calculated?

The capacitance of a coaxial cylinder can be calculated using the formula C= (2πε0εrl)/ln(b/a), where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the cylinders, l is the length of the cylinders, b is the radius of the outer cylinder, and a is the radius of the inner cylinder.

3. What other traits are important to consider in a coaxial cylinder besides capacitance?

Other important traits of a coaxial cylinder include the resistance, inductance, and impedance. These factors play a role in the transmission and reflection of signals through the coaxial cylinder.

4. How does the length and radius of the cylinders affect the capacitance of a coaxial cylinder?

The capacitance of a coaxial cylinder is directly proportional to the length of the cylinders and inversely proportional to the radius of the cylinders. This means that increasing the length of the cylinders will increase the capacitance, while increasing the radius will decrease the capacitance.

5. What are some practical applications of coaxial cylinders and their traits?

Coaxial cylinders are commonly used in electronic circuits and communication systems for their ability to transmit and receive signals with minimal interference. They are also used in scientific experiments and research, such as in particle accelerators, where precise control of electromagnetic fields is necessary.