Capacitance and Electromagnetism

In summary: My advice is to use the latex preview button as you compose your equations, to make sure they come out as you intend. To get the latex code for any equation you see on the forums, click the "quote" button at the bottom of the post containing the equation, and copy and paste the latex code from the quoted post into your post.
Coldsoul
1.Suppose that a blood vessel is 2.5 mm in diameter, the magnetic field is 0.08 T, and the electromagnetic force is 0.10 mV. What is the velocity flow of the blood? Assume that blood carries charged ions.

Homework Equations

B=F/qvattempt
looking for v isn't possible since I have no idea how to look for q, it says q is the charge of the moving particle along a constant magnetic field... or am I using inappropriate equation? P.S. Sorry for posting two problems in one post, I have already figured out the first one. Sorry for not posting any attempt, I was expecting something like people would also post their answers and I will compare my answers later, I thought it would work the that way, my apologies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Coldsoul, welcome to Physics Forums.

You've posted two problems (in one post) and not supplied your attempt at solution for either one, or even your thoughts on what might be involved in attacking the solutions. If we are to help, we need to see what you've tried.

Coldsoul said:
1.Suppose that a blood vessel is 2.5 mm in diameter, the magnetic field is 0.08 T, and the electromagnetic force is 0.10 mV. What is the velocity flow of the blood? Assume that blood carries charged ions.

Homework Equations

B=F/qv

attempt
looking for v isn't possible since I have no idea how to look for q, it says q is the charge of the moving particle along a constant magnetic field... or am I using inappropriate equation?

P.S. Sorry for posting two problems in one post, I have already figured out the first one. Sorry for not posting any attempt, I was expecting something like people would also post their answers and I will compare my answers later, I thought it would work the that way, my apologies.

No problem. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Would, by any chance, this problem have come from a section of your course where you are learning about the Hall Effect? To me it just "has that sort of feel" to it.

If so, you might benefit by looking at some material on the Hall Effect. This http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/hall.html" has a pretty good summary of the relevant bits. Pay particular attention to the part where it shows how the drift velocity is related to the current and conductor cross sectional area.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hall effect is similar to the relevant equation I posted since the hall effect assumed that the moving charges are electrons. Therefore, the drift velocity was talking to velocity of the density of moving electrons.

relevant equations:
B=F/qv, looking for F, we have F=qvB
Hall effect: F = eVdB; where e=charge density of the electrons, Vd= drift velocity and B= magnetic field

similar isn't it? still can't find the velocity... what bothers me is the diameter of the vessel, I am looking at the surface charge density but it doesn't seem like related to it.

I really appreciate your reply, thanks. ^^

The Hall Effect works for positive or negative charges.

You're given a magnetic field, a "conductor" diameter, and a potential difference, presumably across the diameter of the conductor. Sounds like Hall Effect to me.

Instead of looking at the force expressions, look at the Hall voltage:

[tex] V_H = \frac{I B}{n \; q \; d} [/tex]
and at the current as a function of charge density and drift velocity:
[tex] I = n \; q \; A \; v [/tex]

A little algebra and you're done.

now I see, thanks much...

next, can you teach me how to post equations like you do?

Related to Capacitance and Electromagnetism

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electric charge. It is measured in units of farads (F).

2. How is capacitance related to electromagnetism?

Capacitance is a key property in electromagnetism as it allows for the storage and release of electric energy in a circuit. It is also crucial in the behavior of capacitors, which are important components in many electrical and electronic systems.

3. What factors affect capacitance?

The capacitance of a system is affected by the distance between conductors, the area of the conductors, and the type of material between the conductors. It is also affected by the dielectric constant of the material, which is a measure of its ability to store electric charge.

4. How does capacitance impact the behavior of electrical circuits?

Capacitors are able to store electric charge and release it as needed, which can impact the voltage and current in a circuit. They can also be used to filter out certain frequencies of electric signals or to regulate the voltage in a circuit.

5. How do we calculate capacitance?

The capacitance of a system can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance in farads, Q is the amount of charge in coulombs, and V is the voltage difference between the conductors in volts. Additionally, the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor can be calculated using the equation C = εA/d, where ε is the dielectric constant, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between them.