Capacitance and electric field

In summary, the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is halved if the voltage between the plates is doubled, as Ceq = Q/V. The electric field between the plates will also double in this scenario. The charge (Q) must double in order for the voltage to double, but the capacitance (C) remains the same. This is because C is not a function of Q or V, but rather a constant determined by the geometry of the capacitor.
Bradracer18
I've got a few more I need help with...I think I might have these ones, but not quite sure...as the concepts are still new to me.

1. If the voltage between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is doubled, the capacitance of the capacitor...
A. is halved
B. remains the same
C. is doubled
D. quadrouples

---I think is is A(halved)...because Ceq = Q/V...so doubling something on the bottom...would be the same as halving C on the other side.

2. If the voltage applied to a parallel plate capacitor is doubled, the electric field between the plates...
A. is halved
B. remains the same
C. is doubled
D. quadrouples

----I'm thinking the answer is C(doubled), because E=V/d...

Physics news on Phys.org
Bradracer18 said:
I've got a few more I need help with...I think I might have these ones, but not quite sure...as the concepts are still new to me.

1. If the voltage between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is doubled, the capacitance of the capacitor...
A. is halved
B. remains the same
C. is doubled
D. quadrouples

---I think is is A(halved)...because Ceq = Q/V...so doubling something on the bottom...would be the same as halving C on the other side.
What has to occur to Q in order for the voltage to double?

AM

well if you take Ceq/Q and inverse them. So...then V=Q/Ceq. So...if you double Q, you double V. Likewise...if you half Ceq, then V will double. Am I right, or not? And, in this question, I'm looking for C...right.

Bradracer18 said:
well if you take Ceq/Q and inverse them. So...then V=Q/Ceq. So...if you double Q, you double V. Likewise...if you half Ceq, then V will double. Am I right, or not? And, in this question, I'm looking for C...right.
Let's assume that plate separation does not change. So if to double V you necessarily must double Q what happens to C? I think that is what the question is asking. Otherwise the question is ambiguous.

AM

Last edited:
If to double V...and you HAVE to double Q...then I'd say C stays the same...or am I still off...this is confusing to me for some reason.

Andrew...am I correct on the other question then?

You are right about the second problem.

To clear up any residual confusion, I will suggest you refer to your problem and then directly to Andrew's post and only if necessary read this:

The capacitance is given by

[tex]C = \frac{\epsilon_{0}A}{d}[/tex]

It is clear that [itex]C[/itex] is not a function of charge [itex]Q[/itex] or potential difference [itex]V[/itex]. Hence, when you write

[tex]Q = CV[/tex]

you are actually saying that

[tex]Q \alpha V[/tex]

that is the charge is directly proportional to the applied potential difference. It says no more.

Now when you have a capacitor you have figure out whether it is connected to a source (constant V) or is isolated (constant Q). In your first problem, [itex]V[/itex] changes to [itex]2V[/itex] so obviously the charge must double. However, you aren't changing the geometry so C does not change at all. So you are right.

Thanks maverick...and you too Andrew. I really appreciate it. That does make a lot more sense now though...I kinda forgot they were perportional...thanks again!

Related to Capacitance and electric field

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F) and is directly proportional to the amount of charge that can be stored for a given potential difference.

2. How is capacitance related to electric field?

Capacitance is directly related to the strength of the electric field between two conductive surfaces. The higher the electric field, the higher the capacitance, as more charge can be stored in the system.

3. What is the formula for calculating capacitance?

The formula for calculating capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance in Farads, Q is charge in Coulombs, and V is potential difference in Volts.

4. Can capacitance be changed?

Yes, capacitance can be changed by altering the distance between the two conductive surfaces, the area of the surfaces, or the material between the surfaces. It can also be changed by applying a voltage to the system.

5. What are some practical applications of capacitance?

Capacitance has a wide range of practical applications, including in electronic circuits, power systems, and telecommunications. It is also used in devices such as capacitors, sensors, and touch screens.