Capacitance 3 dielectrics sandwiched between two conductors.

In summary, the problem is asking for the capacitance of a system consisting of 3 dielectrics with dimensions of length=1.0m, width=1.0m, and depth=1.0cm, with dielectric constants of k1=1.5, k2=2, and k3=2.5. The equations used to calculate capacitance and electric field in the dielectrics are given, but there is an issue with the area of the conducting plates not being specified. However, it can be assumed that the plates have the same dimensions as the dielectrics. The portion of the plates that has the same dimensions as the dielectrics is not the only portion that affects the capacitance
MostlyHarmless
Find that capacitance of the system consisting of 3 dielectrics w/ length, l=1.0m, width, w= 1.0m and depth, d= 1.0 CM. ##k_1=1.5, k_2=2, k_3=2.5## *dimensions of conducting plates not given*

Equations: Capacitance, ##C= Q/{\delta}V##

Field in the dielectrics
##E={\frac{\sigma}{k{\epsilon}_0}}##

I've found the fields in each dielectric, and the potential difference in each, but I'm getting hung up there. I've gotten down to, ##|{\delta}V|=({\frac{Q}{A{\epsilon}_0}})({\frac{1}{k_1}}+{\frac{1}{k_2}}+{\frac{1}{k_3}})##

My problem is, the A refers to the area of the conducting plate, but as i pointed out, nothing is said concerning dimensions of those plates.

Is there another method that does not care about the area that I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can assume the plates have the same dimensions as width and length of the dielectric materials.

That's what I thought, but the diagram provided clearly shows that conductors being larger than the dielectrics.

Is the portion that is the same dimension as the dielectrics the only portion if the conductor that has any effect?

That's what I thought, but the diagram provided clearly shows that conductors being larger than the dielectrics.
Can you show this diagram?
Is the portion that is the same dimension as the dielectrics the only portion if the conductor that has any effect?
No. For large k this is a good approximation (as you can neglect the air then), but your k-values are not large.

As a scientist, it is important to always consider all the variables and factors in a given problem. In this case, the dimensions of the conducting plates are crucial in determining the capacitance of the system. As you have correctly pointed out, the area of the plates is needed in the equation for capacitance. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the capacitance.

One possible solution is to assume a standard size for the conducting plates, such as 1 square meter, and use that value in your calculations. However, this may not give an accurate result as the actual dimensions of the plates may differ.

Another approach could be to find the capacitance per unit area and then multiply it by the total area of the plates. This would require finding the electric field and potential difference in each dielectric, as you have already done, and then using the equation for capacitance per unit area, ##C/A= {\epsilon}_0/k##. This method would give a more accurate result as it takes into account the varying dielectric constants in the system.

In conclusion, it is important to have all the necessary information in order to accurately calculate the capacitance of a system. In this case, the dimensions of the conducting plates are needed and without them, it is not possible to find the exact capacitance.

Related to Capacitance 3 dielectrics sandwiched between two conductors.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is represented by the letter C in equations.

2. How does capacitance change when dielectrics are added?

When dielectrics are added between the two conductors, the capacitance increases. This is because the dielectric material has a higher permittivity than air, making it easier to store more charge.

3. How does the distance between the conductors affect capacitance?

The capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the conductors. This means that as the distance increases, the capacitance decreases. This is because the electric field between the conductors weakens as the distance increases, making it harder to store charge.

4. What is the role of the conductors in capacitance with dielectrics?

The conductors act as the plates of a capacitor, providing a surface for the electric charge to accumulate. They also help maintain the electric field between the dielectrics, allowing for more charge to be stored.

5. How can the permittivity of a dielectric affect capacitance?

The permittivity of a dielectric has a direct impact on capacitance. A higher permittivity means a higher capacitance, as the material is better at storing charge. This is why adding dielectrics between conductors increases capacitance, as they have higher permittivity than air.