Cantilevered OSB Bending in the Wind

In summary: You'll need to convert the Moment of Inertia from in^4/ft to in^4 by multiplying it by the width of the sheet (4'). Then, you can use the bending equation to calculate the deflection. In summary, to calculate the deflection of a cantilevered sheet of OSB sheathing under wind load, you'll need to convert the Moment of Inertia from in^4/ft to in^4 and use the bending equation with the given wind load and OSB Modulus of Elasticity.
Artbuc
Hope I am in the right subforum. I want to know how much a cantilevered sheet of OSB sheathing will deflect under wind load. I found the Moment of Inertia for OSB, but the units are in^4/ft. The bending equations I found use Moment of Inertia in units of in^4. The wind load will be uniform in units of lb/sq ft. Do I just look at a 1ft wide section of OSB to calculate the deflection?

To describe in more detail, I have a 4’ x 8’ sheet of 7/16” thick OSB fixed along the 4’ side with the 8’ side cantilevered out. The cantilevered32 sq ft sheet will be exposed to various uniform wind pressure. I want to know how much it will deflect at various wind pressures. I have the OSB Modulus of Elasticity but I am not sure how to use the Moment of Inertia when it is in units of in^4 per foot.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the data source does not tell you, then you can just calculate the area moment for a rectangle 7/16" by 12" and compare to the given value.

Artbuc said:
Hope I am in the right subforum. I want to know how much a cantilevered sheet of OSB sheathing will deflect under wind load. I found the Moment of Inertia for OSB, but the units are in^4/ft. The bending equations I found use Moment of Inertia in units of in^4. The wind load will be uniform in units of lb/sq ft. Do I just look at a 1ft wide section of OSB to calculate the deflection?

To describe in more detail, I have a 4’ x 8’ sheet of 7/16” thick OSB fixed along the 4’ side with the 8’ side cantilevered out. The cantilevered32 sq ft sheet will be exposed to various uniform wind pressure. I want to know how much it will deflect at various wind pressures. I have the OSB Modulus of Elasticity but I am not sure how to use the Moment of Inertia when it is in units of in^4 per foot.

Thanks.
That /ft represents per foot of width (4' in your case).

Related to Cantilevered OSB Bending in the Wind

1. How does a cantilevered OSB (oriented strand board) bend in the wind?

Cantilevered OSB bending in the wind is a result of the combination of wind force and the structural properties of the OSB material. When wind blows against a cantilevered structure, it creates a force that causes the structure to bend. The OSB material, which is made up of layers of wood strands glued together, is able to flex and bend without breaking due to its strong and flexible nature.

2. What factors affect the amount of bending in a cantilevered OSB in the wind?

The amount of bending in a cantilevered OSB in the wind is affected by several factors, including the speed and direction of the wind, the size and shape of the structure, and the type and thickness of the OSB material used. Additionally, the design and construction of the structure can also impact its ability to withstand wind forces and the resulting bending.

3. Can a cantilevered OSB structure break or collapse due to wind bending?

In most cases, a properly designed and constructed cantilevered OSB structure will not break or collapse due to wind bending. OSB is a strong and durable material that is able to withstand significant bending without breaking. However, extreme wind conditions or structural flaws can potentially lead to failure, so it is important to follow proper design and construction guidelines when building a cantilevered OSB structure.

4. How can engineers and designers account for wind bending in cantilevered OSB structures?

Engineers and designers can account for wind bending in cantilevered OSB structures by using structural analysis and design techniques. This involves calculating the expected wind forces and determining the appropriate size and placement of the OSB material to ensure the structure can withstand the bending without failure. Additionally, incorporating bracing and other structural elements can also help to mitigate the effects of wind bending.

5. Are there any alternative materials or techniques that can be used for cantilevered structures that are more resistant to wind bending?

There are alternative materials and techniques that can be used for cantilevered structures that may be more resistant to wind bending. Some options include using steel or aluminum instead of OSB, incorporating aerodynamic design elements to reduce wind resistance, or using a different structural design that can better distribute wind forces. However, each option has its own advantages and limitations, and it is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements of the project before choosing an alternative material or technique.