Can't we use dq/dt in RC discharge?

In summary, in the derivation of a discharging RC circuit, the equation I = -dq/dt is used to get Q = Q0 e-t/RC. This is because the charge on the capacitor is decreasing, and using initial and final conditions forces the value of dq/dt to be negative. This results in the final state having a lower charge q than the initial state Q. Additionally, as time increases, the charge Q also increases, which may seem counterintuitive. However, this can be explained by the Kirchoff's voltage law. The equation I = I0e-t/RC already accounts for the decaying nature of the current and charge. To apply the equation A = A0e-t/RC,
yosimba2000
In the derivation of discharging RC circuit, you use I = -dq/dt to get Q = Q0 e-t/RC

But isn't dq/dt already implied to be negative, since charge on the capacitor is decreasing, and you force it to be negative using initial nd final conditions? So the final state is some low charge q, and the inital state is high charge Q.

Doing it this way gives Q = Q0 et/RC

I can see that as t increases, the charge Q increases as well. It's the opposite of what I know it should be and I know it has to do with using I = -dq/dt, but I can't see WHY we use -dq/dt when dq/dt is already negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a discharging capacitor,
I=Ioe-t/RC.
This equation already takes care of the decaying nature of the current (and the charge).
Use I=dq/dt and integrate to get
yosimba2000 said:
Q = Q0 e-t/RC

Charge flow and charge flow per second (I) are both proportional to charge and in the same direction in the circuit (yes I know that is obvious but. . . .) For an equation of the form
A=A0et/RC to apply , where A is some other quantity associated with the circuit, A would have to be inversely proportional to Q (or I), to account for the lack of a minus sign. (And apparent unlimited growth with time)
e-c = 1/ec
Just to re-state the obvious. So it has to be down to your Maths I think.

Related to Can't we use dq/dt in RC discharge?

1. Why can't we use dq/dt in RC discharge?

Using dq/dt (change in charge over change in time) in RC discharge would not be an accurate representation of the discharge process because it assumes a constant current flow, which is not the case in RC circuits.

2. What is a more appropriate method to analyze RC discharge?

The appropriate method to analyze RC discharge is to use the equation Q(t) = Q0e-t/RC, where Q(t) is the charge at time t, Q0 is the initial charge, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance of the circuit.

3. Can dq/dt be used in other types of circuits?

Yes, dq/dt can be used in other types of circuits such as inductors and resistors, as long as the current flow is constant. However, it is not applicable in RC discharge circuits.

4. Why do we use the exponential decay formula in RC discharge?

The exponential decay formula, Q(t) = Q0e-t/RC, is used in RC discharge because it accurately represents the discharge process in RC circuits, where the voltage and current decrease exponentially over time.

5. Is there a way to incorporate dq/dt in RC discharge analysis?

While dq/dt cannot be used directly in RC discharge analysis, it can be used in conjunction with other methods such as using differential equations to model the discharge process. However, the exponential decay formula remains the most accurate and commonly used method for RC discharge analysis.