Can't simplify equation into form (RLC)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to simplify a given expression into a specific algebraic form. The first step is to rewrite the expression as 1/j, and then multiply by j/j to get -j. After that, the expression is multiplied by the given term and simplified further to get the final answer of jωL. The conversation also mentions another method of multiplying the entire fraction by the given term, which also leads to the same answer.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

90349f3758.png

The answer in (algebraic form) is
0f75761f88.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

c472e73fa6.png

718054414a.png

I'm not sure how to simplfy into the form required from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion: To start, ## 1/(j \omega C)=-j/(\omega C ) ##. What yo have is correct so far. The rest is just algebra.

Charles Link said:
Suggestion: To start, ## 1/(j \omega C)=-j/(\omega C ) ##. What yo have is correct so far. The rest is just algebra.

cc08e2c6ff.png

Likes Charles Link
You are almost there. When you have a ## 1/j ## multiply by ## j/j ## and you get ##-j ##. That gives you ##-j \omega L/(\omega^2 LC-1) ##. Then just multiply through upstairs and downstairs by ## 1-\omega^2 LC ##.

Charles Link said:
You are almost there. When you have a ## 1/j ## multiply by ## j/j ## and you get ##-j ##. That gives you ##-j \omega L/(\omega^2 LC-1) ##

Yeah, that's what I got too now. Not sure how I'm going to get all those terms on the top like in the final answer. The R is still in the denomintor so I can't even flip and multiply

Charles Link said:
See my edited post 4. It's simple.

Sorry about this. I still can't seem to get it through my head. Do you mean multiply the entire fraction(including the Vs) above and below by that or do I just multiply the fraction in the denomiator by that. I tried both and I'm still getting stuck :(

d18682676d.png

OR

3dd7799e92.png

The second way, and it immediately gives you the correct answer ! ##- j \omega L (1-\omega^2LC)/(\omega^2 LC-1)=j \omega L ##.

Charles Link said:
The second way, and it immediately gives you the correct answer ! ##- j \omega L (1-\omega^2LC)/(\omega^2 LC-1)=j \omega L ##.

Ah! I see. Thank you! It's always the algebra problems..

Likes Charles Link

Related to Can't simplify equation into form (RLC)

1. Why can't I simplify this RLC equation?

There are a few reasons why an RLC equation may not be simplifiable. One possibility is that the equation is already in its simplest form and cannot be reduced any further. Another reason could be that the equation contains complex or imaginary numbers, which cannot be simplified using basic algebraic techniques.

2. Is there a way to simplify an RLC equation?

Yes, there are certain techniques that can be used to simplify RLC equations. These include using trigonometric identities, manipulating the equation into a more manageable form, or using specialized software or calculators to solve the equation. However, not all RLC equations can be simplified, as it depends on the specific variables and terms involved.

3. Can I use the quadratic formula to simplify an RLC equation?

The quadratic formula is a useful tool for solving equations with a single variable raised to the second power. However, it may not be applicable to all RLC equations, as they can involve multiple variables and powers. It's best to consult with a math expert or use other techniques to simplify an RLC equation.

4. What are the consequences of not being able to simplify an RLC equation?

If an RLC equation cannot be simplified, it may make it more difficult to solve or understand. However, it does not necessarily mean that the equation is incorrect or unusable. In some cases, complex equations are necessary to accurately represent and predict phenomena in physics and engineering.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying RLC equations?

One helpful tip is to break down the equation into smaller parts and simplify each part individually. This can make the overall equation more manageable. Additionally, make use of algebraic rules and identities, and don't be afraid to use technology or seek help from a math expert if needed.