Can't see Latex source in Linux (Firefox)

In summary, under Firefox 4.0.1 on Mac OS X, control-clicking over an equation brings up the menu, but control-clicking quickly does not.
Pollywoggy
I understand that I should be able to see the source for formulas/equations/math symbols people put in their posts, by right-clicking a symbol or equation. I seem to recall that I could do this but I am unable to do it now in Firefox (Ubuntu Linux Lucid).

Is there something I need to install so that I can do this? I don't remember enough Latex to be able to ask a question and show exactly what is giving me trouble (a dot product question), so it would be helpful if I could find posts that use the symbols I need.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Right click equation >> show source

[tex]f(x_0) = f(x_1^\sigma)[/tex]

Last edited:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Right click equation >> show source

[tex]f(x_0) = f(x_1^\sigma)[/tex]

Apologies for having posted in the wrong place. I did not notice there was a support section.

I was aware of this manner of showing the source for an entire page, but in Firefox (Linux) I can see the source for some formulas, and only the source for the math, without having to see the entire source (the html etc). I right click and I click a Mathjax context menu and I can see the code but only for some equations and formulas. I don't know why it only works for some equations and not for others.

I just tried this In Windows 7, I am unable to see any source because the window crashes as it opens.

My solution for the problem is to save the entire webpage on my laptop and then open the file in a text editor and delete everything that is not between a "[tex]" and a "[\tex]". Perhaps I can write a script to automate it.

Last edited:
The best place to post would have been in the thread about the move to MathJax.

One way to see the source is to just click "quote". Unfortunately that doesn't work if the math you want to see is already in a quote box. What happens when you try to view the source (with FF on Linux) and it doesn't work?

FF4 on Windows 7 is working fine for me.

FF4.0.1 on windows 7x64 does not work for some equations for me. Sometimes there is a mathjax option in the context, other times there is not.

Fredrik said:
The best place to post would have been in the thread about the move to MathJax.

One way to see the source is to just click "quote". Unfortunately that doesn't work if the math you want to see is already in a quote box. What happens when you try to view the source (with FF on Linux) and it doesn't work?

FF4 on Windows 7 is working fine for me.

Maybe that is the problem, that I was trying to view math in a quote box. I will keep that in mind. With some equations, I have to look for the math in the source for the entire page, with other equations, I get a Mathjax context menu and can see the math by clicking there, without having to hunt for it in the source for the entire page. I take it Mathjax is what is generating the math symbols. I had not seen the Mathjax context menu before, only the context menu for a math font I installed in Linux, but I don't think that font would work with the forums.

In Windows, I found the window just opens behind the browser though it appeared to have crashed, so I don't think there is a problem in Windows and I just need to minimize the browser.

thanks

In Firefox 4.0.1 under Mac OS X, control-click does what right-click does under Windows, but I have to act quickly. When I place the cursor over an equation, after a brief pause, an enlarged view of the equation pops up, and control-click doesn't do anything. When I control-click quickly, before the enlarged view appears, I get a popup menu, one of whose options is "Show Source".

Wow, that is my problem. There is a context if I can click on the equation itself, but not if the enlarged view pops up. It's pretty tricky clicking the eq. before it pops up on my machine.

It seems that the "zoom trigger" is set to "hover" by default. If you change it to something else, e.g. "click" the zoom window won't pop up automatically.

(@Greg: I think it would be a good idea to change the default setting from "hover" to one of the other options).

I agree with Fredrik. If it's possible to disable the default "hover" behavior, that would help a lot.

jtbell said:
I agree with Fredrik. If it's possible to disable the default "hover" behavior, that would help a lot.

ok I've changed it to "click"

Now (under Mac OS) a normal click zooms, and control-click brings up the menu. It takes an extra step (choosing from the menu) to get the source code, compared to the old system, but that's OK with me.

jtbell said:
In Firefox 4.0.1 under Mac OS X, control-click does what right-click does under Windows, but I have to act quickly. When I place the cursor over an equation, after a brief pause, an enlarged view of the equation pops up, and control-click doesn't do anything. When I control-click quickly, before the enlarged view appears, I get a popup menu, one of whose options is "Show Source".

This is essentially what I get in Ubuntu. If I mouse over an equation, I sometimes get a "balloon" type popup showing an enlarged view of the equation and if I right click, I get the normal Firefox context menu from which I can access the source for the entire page. Other times I get something more useful (even on the same equation), which shows me a Mathjax context menu which allows me to immediately see *just* the code for the equation.

Greg Bernhardt said:
ok I've changed it to "click"

Thanks, it seems to be working correctly for me in Firefox on Ubuntu.

Related to Can't see Latex source in Linux (Firefox)

1. Why can't I see the Latex source in Linux (Firefox)?

This could be due to a few reasons. First, make sure you have the Latex plugin installed and enabled in your browser. Additionally, some websites may not have the Latex source visible on their pages. You can check this by viewing the page source code. If the source code does not include Latex commands, the website may not have Latex support.

2. How can I enable Latex support in Firefox on Linux?

To enable Latex support in Firefox on Linux, you will need to install a Latex plugin. One popular option is the "TeXZilla" plugin, which can be found in the Firefox add-ons store. Once installed, you may need to enable the plugin in your browser settings.

3. Can I view Latex source on all websites in Firefox on Linux?

No, not all websites have Latex support. If a website does not have Latex commands in their source code, you will not be able to view the Latex source on that page. Additionally, some websites may have Latex support but may not display the source by default. In these cases, you may need to click on a button or link to view the Latex source.

4. How can I troubleshoot Latex display issues in Firefox on Linux?

If you are experiencing issues with viewing Latex source in Firefox on Linux, try the following steps:
1. Make sure you have a Latex plugin installed and enabled in your browser.
2. Check the website's source code to see if it contains Latex commands.
3. Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
4. Try viewing the website in a different browser.
5. If the issue persists, report it to the plugin developer or website owner for further assistance.

5. Is there a way to view Latex source without a plugin in Firefox on Linux?

No, a plugin is required to view Latex source in Firefox on Linux. However, some websites may have an option to download the Latex source file separately. Alternatively, you can use an online Latex editor to view and edit Latex code without a plugin.