Can't decide Mechanical vs Electrical Engineering

In summary, the individual is struggling to choose between studying mechanical engineering or electrical engineering. They have an interest in both subjects, but are considering future job prospects and their preference for topics within each field. They are also considering the possibility of pursuing a career in software and whether mechanical engineers can also do this.
randomengineer
I am equally interested in both topics, but I am having trouble making up my mind as to which one to pick. Anyone here wish they did one or picked the other? Future prospects? I like MechE topics such as thermodynamics, FEA, CFD, materials etc, but I also like ElecE topics such as microcontrollers and programming. I potentially want to go into software (programming) in the future, so I am leaning towards EE because its a little more relevant, I guess. Could MEs do that too?

Physics news on Phys.org
randomengineer said:
I am equally interested in both topics, but I am having trouble making up my mind as to which one to pick. Anyone here wish they did one or picked the other? Future prospects? I like MechE topics such as thermodynamics, FEA, CFD, materials etc, but I also like ElecE topics such as microcontrollers and programming. I potentially want to go into software (programming) in the future, so I am leaning towards EE because its a little more relevant, I guess. Could MEs do that too?

Why not study computer science if you want to go into software?

Related to Can't decide Mechanical vs Electrical Engineering

1. What is the difference between Mechanical and Electrical Engineering?

Mechanical engineering primarily deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as machines, tools, and equipment. On the other hand, electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism in various systems and devices.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both mechanical and electrical engineering have great job prospects, and it ultimately depends on your interests and skills. However, with the rise of technology and automation, electrical engineering is experiencing faster growth and demand in various industries.

3. Which field has a higher salary?

The average salary for both mechanical and electrical engineers is similar, and it varies depending on the specific job, location, and experience. Generally, electrical engineers tend to have a slightly higher salary due to their specialization in a high-demand field.

4. Can I study both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to study both fields, and some universities even offer joint programs in both disciplines. However, keep in mind that both fields require a lot of time and dedication, so it may be challenging to study both at the same time.

5. Which field is more challenging?

Both mechanical and electrical engineering can be challenging, but it ultimately depends on your strengths and interests. Mechanical engineering may involve more hands-on work and physical tasks, while electrical engineering may require more theoretical knowledge and problem-solving skills.