Can't compile with polynom package

• Thread starter hatsoff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone experiencing trouble with formatting long division using the polynom package. They have tried using TeXnicCenter/MikTex in Windows and texlive-latex-base in ubuntu linux, but are getting errors. The main issue seems to be that the polynom.sty file is not being found, and some possible solutions are suggested, such as checking the installation and file path, trying a different text editor or system, and seeking help from the package developers.
hatsoff
Hey, guys.

I'm trying to format long division with latex, and I'd like to use the polynom package. Unfortunately, neither TeXnicCenter/MikTex in Windows nor texlive-latex-base in ubuntu linux is able to compile my document.

TeXnicCenter just gives a generic error. The latex command in ubuntu gives slightly more detailed information:

Code:
File `polynom.sty' not found.

I've reviewed the official polynom package documentation without success. Their sample polydemo.tex file gives me the same error (and then some).

Is there any way I can get this to work? It would be enormously helpful to use this package.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with formatting long division using the polynom package. I understand how frustrating it can be when technology doesn't cooperate. Let's see if we can troubleshoot this issue together.

Firstly, it seems like the main problem is that the polynom.sty file is not being found. This could be due to a few reasons. One possibility is that the package is not installed correctly or is missing from your system. I would suggest double-checking that the package is installed and try reinstalling it if necessary.

Another possibility is that the file path is not set up correctly. If you're using TeXnicCenter, make sure that the package is in the same folder as your .tex file or that the file path is specified correctly in your document. If you're using texlive-latex-base in ubuntu, make sure that the package is installed in the correct directory.

If neither of those solutions work, it may be helpful to try using a different text editor or compiling your document on a different system to see if the issue persists. You could also try reaching out to the developers of the polynom package for further assistance.

I hope this helps and that you're able to get the package working. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Best of luck!

Related to Can't compile with polynom package

1. Why am I getting an error message when I try to compile with the polynom package?

There could be several reasons for this error message. One possibility is that the polynom package is not installed on your computer. Another possibility is that there may be a conflict with another package you are using. It is also possible that there is a typo or error in your code that is causing the issue.

2. How do I install the polynom package?

The polynom package can be installed through the package manager of your LaTeX distribution. If you are using MikTeX, you can use the "Package Manager" program to install the package. If you are using TeX Live, you can use the "tlmgr" command line tool to install the package. Alternatively, you can download the package from CTAN and manually install it.

3. What should I do if there is a conflict with another package?

If you are getting an error message about a conflict with another package, you can try loading the polynom package before the conflicting package. Another option is to use the "savesym" package to resolve the conflict. If all else fails, you may need to find an alternative package or contact the package maintainer for assistance.

4. How can I fix a typo or error in my code?

If you suspect that there is a typo or error in your code, carefully review your code to see if you can identify the issue. You can also try compiling a minimal working example (MWE) to isolate the problem. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, you can seek help from online forums or consult a LaTeX guide or tutorial.

5. What should I do if I am still unable to compile with the polynom package?

If you have followed all the steps above and are still unable to compile with the polynom package, you may need to seek help from a more experienced LaTeX user or contact the package maintainer. You can also try using a different LaTeX distribution or updating your current distribution to see if that resolves the issue.